New Age Therapy Makes Clients Uninsurable

There is a therapy out there called EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy) used to treat real or imagined fibromyalgia and is an anti-aging cure all (right). My client takes no meds and had started this therapy about 3 weeks before filling out a LTCi application. Not only was she declined, she is pretty much uninsurable for LTCi, Life, and Critical Illness because she takes oxygen. One carrier's underwriter said she would consider her uninsurable forever.
I doubt that the doctors realize the insurance implications when they prescribe this therapy.

There is a therapy out there called EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy) used to treat real or imagined fibromyalgia and is an anti-aging cure all (right). My client takes no meds and had started this therapy about 3 weeks before filling out a LTCi application. Not only was she declined, she is pretty much uninsurable for LTCi, Life, and Critical Illness because she takes oxygen. One carrier's underwriter said she would consider her uninsurable forever.
I doubt that the doctors realize the insurance implications when they prescribe this therapy.

Severe cases of fibromyalgia are often uninsurable anyway.
I bet that if we looked at her history of prescription medications she probably would have been declined even without the oxygen therapy.

Severe cases of fibromyalgia are often uninsurable anyway.
I bet that if we looked at her history of prescription medications she probably would have been declined even without the oxygen therapy.

No meds, she goes for long bike rides and does other strenuous exercise. This therapy is used to treat EVERYTHING and was started by a chiropractor. Here is the site: About Us

originally posted by Mackaroo

No meds, she goes for long bike rides and does other strenuous exercise. This therapy is used to treat EVERYTHING and was started by a chiropractor.

Oxygen needs to be prescribed by a health care professional.
If she has a prescription for oxygen, it's over!

No meds, she goes for long bike rides and does other strenuous exercise. This therapy is used to treat EVERYTHING and was started by a chiropractor. Here is the site: .....

I dont think that is the type of "Oxygen use" the app is talking about. They mean oxygen use prescribed by a REAL doctor... not a chiropractor.

originally posted by mackaroo

So, now she sees a psychiatrist.

The plot thickens.........................

Right, she is the high strung type and the psychiatrist treats things like rashes, but my client takes no meds except for the O2 and has no hospitalizations, no diagnosed depression etc.
Also, if a chiropractor told her to start the exercise with oxygen therapy, she would have been declined. They are considered to be health care professionals.

Right, she is the high strung type and the psychiatrist treats things like rashes, but my client takes no meds except for the O2 and has no hospitalizations, no diagnosed depression etc.
Also, if a chiropractor told her to start the exercise with oxygen therapy, she would have been declined. They are considered to be health care professionals.

You seem to be pleading your case on the Forum.
You have already been advised that your client is uninsurable. Not only by Forum members, but from every carrier that you've checked with.

In fact, you stated "One carrier's underwriter said she would consider her uninsurable forever"

You seem to be pleading your case on the Forum.
You have already been advised that your client is uninsurable. Not only by Forum members, but from every carrier that you've checked with.

In fact, you stated "One carrier's underwriter said she would consider her uninsurable forever"

I find it mind-boggling that a New Age therapy can make a reasonably healthy person uninsurable. I have offered a real life example and have clarified comments about the case. The purpose of my post was to: 1) Make others aware of the consequences of some unorthodox treatments. 2) Get feedback from others who might have had similar experiences. 3) get ideas how of what products to offer my client. I thought they would be good reasons to make this post.

Back