New Agent Confused about the “chain of command”

I am a new agent, got my license at the start of the year, did my AHIP ...lots of other certifications and training events...working towards the end goal of assisting with Medicare options. I am also interested in helping my community with their health insurance needs. So I finally started researching as I am reading the language on carrier contracts. It turns out I am an LOA which means my FSP will own my book of business unless we have a formal contract written up. We have an IMO that the FMO is attached too which means unless I become an FSP with the IMO I have no ties with the FMO if I was to ever part ways from my current company. This all seems very confusing and it seems like I might be ending up on the short end of the stick. Any opinions or advice? I am an educated, motivated, extroverted young woman who is really looking to build a solid career for herself.

I am a new agent, got my license at the start of the year, did my AHIP ...lots of other certifications and training events...working towards the end goal of assisting with Medicare options. I am also interested in helping my community with their health insurance needs. So I finally started researching as I am reading the language on carrier contracts. It turns out I am an LOA which means my FSP will own my book of business unless we have a formal contract written up. We have an IMO that the FMO is attached too which means unless I become an FSP with the IMO I have no ties with the FMO if I was to ever part ways from my current company. This all seems very confusing and it seems like I might be ending up on the short end of the stick. Any opinions or advice? I am an educated, motivated, extroverted young woman who is really looking to build a solid career for herself.

Your instincts are correct. You definitely do NOT want to build your Medicare book under an agency that has you working as a LOA (License Only Agent). That would be the #1 best way to get screwed.

There are too many good agencies that won’t do that too you. Todd King that posted in this thread is a good one. You don’t need one in KY. You just need an honest one.

Back