New Agent Here. Couple of Questions/Concerns

Austri

Hello there.

I recently started with Farmers, and find this business to be very challenging, but fun at the same time. I've never really dealt with having to market myself before, and I think that's where my biggest walls are.

- There's a lot of talk in the office about simply talking to enough people. They say if you talk to 20 people, you should get at least one appointment. I really haven't found this to be the case, even for dirt-cheap renters insurance. Maybe it's the economic climate, I don't know. I've gotten a handful of appointments, but most of them have flaked out on me. In my first month I only sold one auto, and in my second I sold one fire. It's really daunting, especially with deadlines and whatnot, but I'm chugging along, trying to find different things that will work.

- So I switched to focusing more on renters and fire, since our auto prices aren't really competitive until they're bundled. I contacted an old real estate agent I knew, and I (think) I got a policy out of him right out of the gate. I say I "think" because the lender is paying the annual premium once escrow closes or something like that. I'm waiting for a check or some such business. How do I go about following up with him without being annoying or pushy about it? He's a nice guy, but can be to-the-point, and he's always busy. I don't want him to think I just wanted to hustle one policy out of him. This seems like an excellent opportunity, but I don't know how to make it flourish into a more long-term partnership.

- I recently contacted a community college about perhaps setting up a table there to hand out brochures and cards. I haven't had the best support from my district office on the matter. There's a section on the permit form that says I need a "General Liability - Comprehensive or Commercial Form, minimum limits $1M/$2M", listing the college as an additional named insured. Can anyone here help me out with what I have to do? Does this mean I need an umbrella that lists the college? Wouldn't that be really expensive? I'm really confused, and the office has been of no help over the last week and a half.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I feel like I have some good ideas, but no one to bounce them off of.

Thank you in advance. :biggrin:

Hello there.

- I recently contacted a community college about perhaps setting up a table there to hand out brochures and cards. I haven't had the best support from my district office on the matter. There's a section on the permit form that says I need a "General Liability - Comprehensive or Commercial Form, minimum limits $1M/$2M", listing the college as an additional named insured. Can anyone here help me out with what I have to do? Does this mean I need an umbrella that lists the college? Wouldn't that be really expensive? I'm really confused, and the office has been of no help over the last week and a half.

Ask your DM, he may have the GL for the agents for the whole office.

Talk to your DM on which product is competitive. Then market the heck out of that.

If your office is no help, then I'd leave...as a new agent, you need the guidance and support.

Last edited:
They say if you talk to 20 people, you should get at least one appointment

Its not just talking, its what you say that will get you an appointment.

How do I go about following up with him without being annoying or pushy about it? He's a nice guy

Try being friendly but firm, I find that in insurance its nice being a good guy, but it does not feed you if you are worried about what they think about you, its either a yes or no. If he is offended about you doing your job choose another friend.

Back