New agent here- if I don't start making money soon...

When I started in 2011, NY was one of my main states, In fact, I lived there at the time
Although I have always been over the phone person, Also I have never had an issue selling medsupp there either, But it is true you need to offer both to Pay for leads there

I Have a pretty good book of AARP med sups and actually just moved a bunch to Empire medsupps, Because as of recent they have a lower premium and also have SIlver sneakers which AARP does not

I also have a bunch of AARP and some Aetna MA plans there.

I don't buy internet leads there anymore but when I get coop from an FMO I do it in NY, I find I get the best results on the mailer

The reason I don't market online there is the Med supps pay more and less customer service in my southern states, In NY I have to shop AEP for a higher % of MA people

However, It's not for lack of business or prospects, Also Mailers are fairly inexpensive and you can have income filters to filter out Medi/medi's

I approach the same there as anywhere else, I always go through the plus and minus of each Med Supp and MA, and let them choose, Plan N is the most popular Med Supp there.

Reason It allows you to go anywhere. Including Sloan Kettering, Also Many are snowbirds and like freedom when they travel

MA's are not that great there, You have great networks with Empire and AARP, AARP's plans are OK and Empire is terrible for MA right now

Aetna has some decent plans but the network is more the issue and with the PPO people get stuck on the Deductable being part in a network

I also no longer sell a lot of the smaller plans, A lot of network, Preauth and customer service issues, I would rather lose a sale here or there then lose a bunch later because I am doing CS on those people.

When I started in 2011, NY was one of my main states, In fact, I lived there at the time
Although I have always been over the phone person, Also I have never had an issue selling medsupp there either, But it is true you need to offer both to Pay for leads there
Thank you so much for your response, that was super helpful! It sounds like i need to get on my Medigap game! I was also thinking of mailers but just wasn't sure. I've also invested so much already i'm hesitant to spend any more money.

Thank you so much for your response, that was super helpful! It sounds like i need to get on my Medigap game! I was also thinking of mailers but just wasn't sure. I've also invested so much already i'm hesitant to spend any more money.

I don't know how Over 65 would work on mailers When I do them I do T65 4 to 5 month out

I always do income filter I forgot what they always suggest somewhere between 20 and 30 K, Keeps the mediciads away

I don't do well with mailers elsewhere But I always did ok in NY

Starting out need to work the referrals as well

You're already helping people with epic that is good too, But learn not to waste time on time wasters, If they are going to be a client then do it, It goes a long way, If not give them the number and move on

Clients refer, Not so with the many people you helped along the way, I do help some But I don't spend too much time on someone who is not going to be a client anymore

Last edited:
I don't know how Over 65 would work on mailers When I do them I do T65 4 to 5 month out

I always do income filter I forgot what they always suggest somewhere between 20 and 30 K, Keeps the mediciads away

I don't do well with mailers elsewhere But I always did ok in NY

Starting out need to work the referrals as well

You're already helping people with epic that is good too, But learn not to waste time on time wasters, If they are going to be a client then do it, It goes a long way, If not give them the number and move on

Clients refer not so many people you helped along the way, I do help some But I don't spend too much time on someone who is not going to be a client anymore

That's interesting that you found more success in NY than elsewhere with the mailers. I also would only do the T65 ones but it seems it would cost me at least $500 for 1k which is totally worth it if it's successful but now I'm just scared.

I have also been told not to waste too much time but its so hard to walk away from someone who is so clueless but i'm trying.

Did you ever track your success rate with the mailers?

If your FB leads aren't qualified...than qualify them before they are leads! How are your ads set up? What do you consider a lead? How is your ad targeting set up?

If your FB leads aren't qualified...than qualify them before they are leads! How are your ads set up? What do you consider a lead? How is your ad targeting set up?
Well I set up my ad with some basic questions asking for Medicare Part A and B and a couple of lines about how they can improve their plan. I target all of NYC, LI and Westchester ages 55 and up (for the disabled ppl) and if ppl are interested they will fill out a form with their name and number and voila!

That's interesting that you found more success in NY than elsewhere with the mailers. I also would only do the T65 ones but it seems it would cost me at least $500 for 1k which is totally worth it if it's successful but now I'm just scared.

I have also been told not to waste too much time but its so hard to walk away from someone who is so clueless but i'm trying.

Did you ever track your success rate with the mailers?

I do better online leads elsewhere and I do better elsewhere overall because of much less customer service, More referrals as well

I only do mailers when they are cooped, After the first few years I stopped pulling online leads in NY,FL, and CA, These states I find more cust service and more hand-holding to the deal than other states

I only do mailers when they are cooped, After the first few years I stopped pulling online leads in NY,FL, and CA, These states I find more cust service and more hand-holding to the deal than other states

Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean cooped?

Almost forgot to ask- why would you want to keep medicaid pop away?

Many reasons, I don't like the extra customer service, I don't like the attitudes and I don't like complaints, I don't like the extra steps to enroll, I don't like the cancelations

Early in my first few month, I decided I would to Medi/medis

Then 2 years later, I get a lead She wanted a UHC Medi Medi, She knew which plan and just wanted to enroll

I went over every detail, She didn't like the fact that glasses were only covered every 2 years not every year

I told her I can't change the benefits, She said thank you but not doing it, I said no problem, She called me a few days later Said she thought about it and she was ok with the 2 years for glasses

Sometime later I got an email from UHC I got a complaint from her saying I told her glasses would be cover every year

My only complaint ever, Not a big deal they just warned me and went over a couple of things with me But still

Never again

Back