New agent here- if I don't start making money soon...

Vanessa, dig a little deeper into this forum, searching and reading current and previous posts. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from reading this forum's posts - about everything. I've spent countless hours, turned into days, turned into weeks reading here.

In fact, I had the exact question about Medicare Advantage vs Supplement early on. I called my FMO to get some clarity but my FMO being heavily into MAs, didn't provide the objective information I learned in this forum.

It sounds like you are trying to sell something without truly understanding what you are selling. I get that you have a basic understanding of Medicare Advantage. What I'm trying to convey is that it sounds like you are trying to sell plastic pools without understanding that there are also fiberglass and concrete pools - and, why are those fiberglass and concrete pools better/worse and how do you help your client choose between plastic/fiberglass/concrete?

I understand you are getting hungry but senior products are most easily sold when you do not "need" the sale. Seniors buy from people they know, like, trust. Success doesn't come in the first year but in the following years as you build referral business based on taking care of clients along the way.

I'm not saying you can't do this. You can. You may just need to do a little more research (here in the forum). Call your current clients - be of service to them. Put yourself out in your community. Take every chance you get to "educate" someone to hone your own understanding. If you have a question, ask your FMO - ask here.

As for buying leads, mailers, etc. talk to your FMO for guidance. If they can't provide that, perhaps you should consider one that will. What ever you do, be compliant. Don't become a vulture or do anything unethical out of desperation.

I sincerely wish you the best. You CAN do this.

Vanessa, dig a little deeper into this forum, searching and reading current and previous posts. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from reading this forum's posts - about everything. I've spent countless hours, turned into days, turned into weeks reading here.

In fact, I had the exact question about Medicare Advantage vs Supplement early on. I called my FMO to get some clarity but my FMO being heavily into MAs, didn't provide the objective information I learned in this forum.

It sounds like you are trying to sell something without truly understanding what you are selling. I get that you have a basic understanding of Medicare Advantage. What I'm trying to convey is that it sounds like you are trying to sell plastic pools without understanding that there are also fiberglass and concrete pools - and, why are those fiberglass and concrete pools better/worse and how do you help your client choose between plastic/fiberglass/concrete?

I understand you are getting hungry but senior products are most easily sold when you do not "need" the sale. Seniors buy from people they know, like, trust. Success doesn't come in the first year but in the following years as you build referral business based on taking care of clients along the way.

I'm not saying you can't do this. You can. You may just need to do a little more research (here in the forum). Call your current clients - be of service to them. Put yourself out in your community. Take every chance you get to "educate" someone to hone your own understanding. If you have a question, ask your FMO - ask here.

As for buying leads, mailers, etc. talk to your FMO for guidance. If they can't provide that, perhaps you should consider one that will. What ever you do, be compliant. Don't become a vulture or do anything unethical out of desperation.

Thank you for this. I wholeheartedly agree. I had already been lurking in this forum before I signed up because there really is a wealth of information here and I've already learned a lot but I know I have ways to go. I have always been in the social service field and not sales so helping people comes easy to me but I've heard a few times I shouldn't waste time helping ppl and just focus on enrollments which just doesn't sit well with me. I understand I need to put the time in and it will come together.

I guess it doesnt help that I no longer have an income and I'm running out of money! I don't want to quit though so I'm looking into some side gigs to make ends meet. The last thing I wanna do is have to get a 9-5 cuz I know that will crush my soul and I won't have the energy left to work on this on my free time. But yes I'll continue digging to understand better what the hell I'm doing!

Also, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with my FMO. Once I was ready to sell, I didn't hear from him again. He hasn't checked in, in 2 months! I emailed hi last week and asked him about the vans the he parks on high trafficked areas and he sent me the schedule but with zero guidance as to how it works. I just want to go to try something new and hopefully meet other agents with more experience that I can learn from .

Look into splitting the cost of leads with your sister and splitting the calls, sales, service, referrals. Take the leads she doesn't want

Well I set up my ad with some basic questions asking for Medicare Part A and B and a couple of lines about how they can improve their plan. I target all of NYC, LI and Westchester ages 55 and up (for the disabled ppl) and if ppl are interested they will fill out a form with their name and number and voila!

So you're doing a lead generation ad? Have you tried driving traffic to a landing page that includes more info and a form with more questions? Or even just expanding on the form within the lead gen ad? You also mention that you target people 55 and up. I don't know very much at all about medicare but you might be targeting people who don't know they are qualified.

Last edited:
There's a plan G?!

During the training process I learned about Medicare supplements, however, I don't quite understand why someone would want to have Medigap over Medicare Advantage. Can you explain?

With questions like these you are headed towards a very expensive on-the-job-training program here, with you footing the bill in both time and money. I would stop investing any more money and time and take the next week (at least) and study every Medicare book available as well as this entire forum, for 10-12 hours each day or more. You get out what you put in, and you haven't put in the product knowledge effort yet to reap the rewards. Then there's the subject of marketing to which it seems you're shooting then aiming.

Remember it takes 10,000 hours on average to become an expert in your field. And believe me, you WANT to be an expert and in the top 5-10%. Otherwise you could end up like the other 3 out of 4 agents who quit their first year.

Might sound a tad harsh but i'm the reality guy. An in reality, making a very successful living in Senior insurance (Or even just enough to pay your bills and a livable salary) requires an extraordinary amount of effort. It's worth it though, but seems you're putting the cart before the horse.

Good luck and ask away, but do your own research FIRST (As in, you have to know what Plan G is even if you don't do Med supps!) and use the search feature.

Last edited:
Sound
Also, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with my FMO. Once I was ready to sell, I didn't hear from him again. He hasn't checked in, in 2 months! I emailed hi last week and asked him about the vans the he parks on high trafficked areas and he sent me the schedule but with zero guidance as to how it works. I just want to go to try something new and hopefully meet other agents with more experience that I can learn from .
Sounds like you need to talk to Todd King. :yes:

Ads for people who are 55+ targeting Medicare? Sounds like a bad idea to me. You’ll get tons of leads from people who think they can get Medicare. Most under 65 cannot. I’d focus on 64 plus.
And how can you not offer med supps?

Latest posts

Back