New agent here- if I don't start making money soon...

Not to worry everyone! As I explained in my original post, I am not selling shit so you could say i'm not a total menace at the moment.

I'm here because I am doing my best to understand. It's very difficult to know what i'm supposed to ask or research or study without the least bit of guidance. My FMO really only spoke to me about MA and seem to only focus on that so it was difficult to know I was supposed to be asking questions about something else.

Medicare sups have definitely been pushed on this thread repeatedly so I will take the time to learn and study about it as much as I can. I really do want to provide people with the best choices available to them.

I do appreciate all the responses

No one was talking about you, V. ;) There was someone trying to sell you leads that was apparently banned.

I think it's good to ask questions. Check out the search function. The archives are at least 15 years old and there's at least one really great Med Supp guy that gave a lot of advice that passed away maybe 8-9 years ago.

I'm a newbie but I KNOW Medicare supps, advantage, and rx plans in and out (worked for UHG for 5 years as a senior sales agent), and I am having a hard time.

You have a loooong hard row to hoe.

I can't even imagine trying to do this AND learn Medicare too.

Ever think about going to work in a call center and learning while collecting a paycheck?

The reason that over 90% of insurance agents wash out is scenarios like yours. Full disclosure, Gordon Marketing is an FMO. Yes we work in NY and No, I'm not trying to recruit you. But talk to your FMO. The should be able to recommend an agency near you that can take you under their arm. It's too soon to be 100% independent. The best way to start is in some type of captive situation (now I'm going to get a lot of flack here about that, since no one likes the captive shops, but they do offer the best training and support). You need structure, an agency that can get you in front of more prospects, teach you more products and hold your hand so you will be successful! Don't be afraid to go under someone. You can always go independent when you have a better feeder situation to live off of your own lead generation.

The reason that over 90% of insurance agents wash out is scenarios like yours. Full disclosure, Gordon Marketing is an FMO. Yes we work in NY and No, I'm not trying to recruit you. But talk to your FMO. The should be able to recommend an agency near you that can take you under their arm. It's too soon to be 100% independent. The best way to start is in some type of captive situation (now I'm going to get a lot of flack here about that, since no one likes the captive shops, but they do offer the best training and support). You need structure, an agency that can get you in front of more prospects, teach you more products and hold your hand so you will be successful! Don't be afraid to go under someone. You can always go independent when you have a better feeder situation to live off of your own lead generation.
Hi there! Well its been 4 months since my original post. I'm happy that i have stayed independent and while I'm not killing it just yet i am doing much better. I kinda ended up yelling at my spline to get his act together and he has come through with sites and leads as well as events. In the past 2 months or so I've met a lot of agents, shadowed some, learned tons, worked at pharmacies and RV. I have a scheduled event a senior building later this month too!
I'm feeling very optimistic about the rest of the year!

It's entirely possible. Some agents start part time or have a night time job while they build their book.

I have a full time job and build my business online in the evenings and on the weekends.

Don't be discouraged. If you need money to survive, start small and build until you make more money doing this.

I borrowed against my home, and sold off investments to the tune of $350k. That supported my mortgage, vacations, dirtbiking and 4wheeling while I built my book. Now I'm sitting pretty, but it was a lot of money and a lot of risk.

Latest posts

Back