New Agent Looking for Advice

Urban Spark

I currently have a Life and Health license in CA and live in Orange County. Looking to transition into the insurance industry so I got my license on my own. With my current situation I need to start part time with a goal of transitioning to full time in about 3 months. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks but still have questions. What companies allow for part time selling with a life license in the beginning?

The only place that I have found that advertises working part time to start is Farmers and I am not really interested in P&C. I have read in a few posts here where people have said that FE was good to start part time but I can not find any recommendations on what places allow part time.

Long term I think that I would like to end up at MassMutual but the ads here say you need a bachelors degree or experience and it's full time. I am not able to go full time on straight commission.

So can anyone guide me in the direction of agencies in Orange County, CA that will consider someone on a part time basis to start? Any place that does not have P&C as the main product. I do not mind if I have to get the license and sell it, I just did not want it to be my main focus.

Please no comments on failure rates for part timers. I have read all these on prior posts and understand. I'm one of those people who believe that failure happens only when you did not learn something.

Thanks!

Last edited:
MassMutual will take you. They put Bachelor's degrees as a requirement to weed out the unqualified and those who won't be able to pass the licensing exam as well as being able to have the intelligence to pass securities exams.

However, I don't know of ANY career agency that will take you 'part-time'. Now, there IS such a thing as "career sampling" where they contract you and you have 90 days to be part-time, then you are full-time with them. I'm pretty sure Mass has that kind of program.

Capstone Partners

However, there is another one I'd look into if I were you: Tax and Financial Group with Securian, however, they would require that you obtain your Series 7 & 66 before officially coming on board.

Homepage : Tax and Financial Group

The reason I'd look into them is because they have ACTIVITY-BASED compensation while you're getting started. So you can earn some money for doing your prospecting activities. However, they are much more than just life insurance focused. You'll be focusing on high net worth client prospecting. I never did get a specific firm definition of what THEY considered to be 'high net worth', otherwise I probably would've gotten started with them.

https://www.securian.com/sites/Securian/Careers/Training

https://advisor.securian.com/sites/avs/sfnnew/Advisor+Development+Program#Financialsupport

New York Life has multiple offices in Orange County. Irvine and Brea come to mind. Mutual of Omaha had an office in Irvine, last I checked. Axa should be in Irvine. I think Metlife is also in Irvine. Ameriprise should still have an office in Irvine, but like Tax & Financial Group - they will require securities licenses before you officially start. Northwestern Mutual is in Newport Beach, last I checked. Pacific Advisors is with Guardian life: Financial Professionals | Pacific Advisors

However, all the above... will require a full-time commitment as a career agent.

Contact them and talk to a manager. Tell them what you're looking for and go from there.

Check out the video I did regarding selling final expense part time below:

Thanks, I watched the video and then tried the next link provided but every time I go to your website my browser crashes. I'll try again later to see if the problem is gone. I assume you are offering some kind of paid mentorship?

I currently have a Life and Health license in CA and live in Orange County. Looking to transition into the insurance industry so I got my license on my own. With my current situation I need to start part time with a goal of transitioning to full time in about 3 months. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks but still have questions. What companies allow for part time selling with a life license in the beginning?

The only place that I have found that advertises working part time to start is Farmers and I am not really interested in P&C. I have read in a few posts here where people have said that FE was good to start part time but I can not find any recommendations on what places allow part time.

Long term I think that I would like to end up at MassMutual but the ads here say you need a bachelors degree or experience and it's full time. I am not able to go full time on straight commission.

My current employer started having financial problems about 6 months ago and wages were reduced company wide and lots of lay offs (with the promise of financial gain soon) so I have been using my savings to pay bills and it is gone. I've decided it's time to move on.

So can anyone guide me in the direction of agencies in Orange County, CA that will consider someone on a part time basis to start? Any place that does not have P&C as the main product. I do not mind if I have to get the license and sell it, I just did not want it to be my main focus.

Please no comments on failure rates for part timers. I have read all these on prior posts and understand. I'm one of those people who believe that failure happens only when you did not learn something.

Thanks!

maybe reach out to Winoblues on forum. He might be able to assist. He also isnt a recruiter who will sell you leads or try and contract you directly underneath himself

Back