New Agent Looking for Advice

MassMutual will take you. They put Bachelor's degrees as a requirement to weed out the unqualified and those who won't be able to pass the licensing exam as well as being able to have the intelligence to pass securities exams.

However, I don't know of ANY career agency that will take you 'part-time'. Now, there IS such a thing as "career sampling" where they contract you and you have 90 days to be part-time, then you are full-time with them. I'm pretty sure Mass has that kind of program.

However, there is another one I'd look into if I were you: Tax and Financial Group with Securian, however, they would require that you obtain your Series 7 & 66 before officially coming on board.

The reason I'd look into them is because they have ACTIVITY-BASED compensation while you're getting started. So you can earn some money for doing your prospecting activities. However, they are much more than just life insurance focused. You'll be focusing on high net worth client prospecting. I never did get a specific firm definition of what THEY considered to be 'high net worth', otherwise I probably would've gotten started with them.
]

New York Life has multiple offices in Orange County. Irvine and Brea come to mind. Mutual of Omaha had an office in Irvine, last I checked. Axa should be in Irvine. I think Metlife is also in Irvine. Ameriprise should still have an office in Irvine, but like Tax & Financial Group - they will require securities licenses before you officially start. Northwestern Mutual is in Newport Beach, last I checked. Pacific Advisors is with Guardian life:

However, all the above... will require a full-time commitment as a career agent.

Contact them and talk to a manager. Tell them what you're looking for and go from there.

It seems you are very informed about Orange County. Would you happen to know if there are any type of meetups for insurance agents here? I tried meetup.com and google but could not find anything.

It would be nice to meet with experienced agents from different agencies and indy's in a non recruiting atmosphere.

Thanks for all the info you've already shared!!

There are two NAIFA chapters in Orange County - depending on where you're located.

This one is just "Orange County": Home

Looks like they have a link for 'socials' for the YAT (Young Advisor Team).

There is also a NAIFA chapter for North Orange County, but I couldn't find a website.

http://securex.naifa.org/assoc_find/find_assoc.cfm

I would find out about when they have YAT meetings and attend those. YAT (Young Advisor Team) is an initiative to help advisors who are under 40 OR have under 5 years in the business. They are generally very informative meetings.

However, if you're looking for lack of bias, I'm not sure you'll find it. NAIFA chapters generally have a lot of New York Life and State Farm agents, and quite a minority of other companies represented. You won't necessarily find a lot of independent agents either.

What I sense you need... is a way to interview companies/recruiters and determine where you'll get the best deal. Notice I said that YOU interview THEM... rather than they interview you.

This post has some things for you to ask about:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/life-insurance-forum/mass-mutual-t66392.html#post872731

There are two NAIFA chapters in Orange County - depending on where you're located.

However, if you're looking for lack of bias, I'm not sure you'll find it. NAIFA chapters generally have a lot of New York Life and State Farm agents, and quite a minority of other companies represented. You won't necessarily find a lot of independent agents either.

What I sense you need... is a way to interview companies/recruiters and determine where you'll get the best deal. Notice I said that YOU interview THEM... rather than they interview you.

You are awesome! Thanks!

Now, let me tell you a bit about my NAIFA experience. I joined for ONE reason: I wanted to meet a past president of the MDRT and ask him for his advice. He lived or worked near where I was, so I thought I'd try to be strategic to meet him.

It never happened.

It wasn't until I joined the same agency that I finally met him and we went to lunch. And let me tell you...

... it wasn't that great of a meeting. And he wasn't exactly the "mentoring type" either. I set up a meeting for joint-work, and it was a no-show appointment for the two of us (he was a dentist running late with his own appointment), and he complained to my manager about it. Hey, life happens. I apologized and moved on. I wouldn't bother him anymore for anything.

I've gotten my best training and mentoring from the Insurance Pro Shop. You can check out their online video training for $25-$35/month here: http://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

You can also give them a call about your situation and ask for some advice. Their number is 877-297-4608.

If you are fully trained, then you wouldn't have to worry about an offer from a career agency (that pays about 55%) and you could get independent agent contracts at 80%+.

Just another angle you may want to consider.

DHK, THANKS! This is some great information.

----------

What does this mean?

It means by posting here you have obligated yourself for a lifetime contract with whatever recruiter utters that statement first kind of like a blood contract thing.

It means by posting here you have obligated yourself for a lifetime contract with whatever recruiter utters that statement first kind of like a blood contract thing.

Well I'm a southern woman with military training so let's see how that works out :D

----------

Now, let me tell you a bit about my NAIFA experience. I joined for ONE reason: I wanted to meet a past president of the MDRT and ask him for his advice. He lived or worked near where I was, so I thought I'd try to be strategic to meet him.

It never happened.

It wasn't until I joined the same agency that I finally met him and we went to lunch. And let me tell you...

... it wasn't that great of a meeting. And he wasn't exactly the "mentoring type" either. I set up a meeting for joint-work, and it was a no-show appointment for the two of us (he was a dentist running late with his own appointment), and he complained to my manager about it. Hey, life happens. I apologized and moved on. I wouldn't bother him anymore for anything.

That's horrible.

I've gotten my best training and mentoring from the Insurance Pro Shop. You can check out their online video training for $25-$35/month here:
You can also give them a call about your situation and ask for some advice. Their number is 877-297-4608.

If you are fully trained, then you wouldn't have to worry about an offer from a career agency (that pays about 55%) and you could get independent agent contracts at 80%+.

Just another angle you may want to consider.

Gonna go spend some time over at IPS...

Back