New Agent Looking for Tips to Increase Nameflow

Mburns

Expert
Hello forum!

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for the overwhelming amount of good content and great tips (not to mention friendly talk) all over these forums. It's been a great inspiration to me and has helped me finally get my career started.

I got hired by New York Life, and absolutely love it. I am finishing college in a few weeks and have been an intern for 2 months now and want to dive in full time.

I'm 23, but I really want to make my living off this job. Selling life/health/disability/LTC already has made a positive impression on my life and the good it can do for others, and I want to stay positive and continue to succeed.

One of the things that's really been bogging me down recently is my name flow. I've been trying to go door to door even, but having very little success. Still, every day I go out brochures in hand and try to talk to people. I've even been invited in to some peoples homes! So that part is encouraging.

Basically, I am on the lookout for any recommendations or ideas on how to find new clients that you've used. I know there are other threads in the forum that talk about this topic, but I always love some personal experience stories here and there.

Thanks again for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing back from everyone!

-Matt

A lot of people have built solid, long term success by starting with door to door knocking on business doors.

I go business door to door almost every morning and I do stumble on good exclusive leads. Granted I don't always talk to the owner, but small business employees need life & health insurance too.

The first encounter is important but the follow up is more important. How are you following up on a lead?

How are you following up on a lead?

That's my problem, haha.:embarrassed: I haven't actually gotten one yet.

I've knocked on probably 200 doors and talked to at least 120 people but nothing yet. Granted, my approach first wasn't to ask for their information, I've quickly realized that wasn't getting me anywhere.

When it comes to b2b walk ins, what do you say, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to do those but honestly I'm still a bit intimidated by them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Unless you look and act much older than your age, it is a big disadvantage for you (probably why you couldn't make a single customer out of 120 you talked to). Your best bet is your extended family and your friends' family. Be honest and ask them to help you out on your new career move. Sell the NYL brand - it has a good image with almost everyone.

If you have no family or friends, continue knocking but this time just say "I'm a local agent from NYL. I believe we have the best life insurance for you here in town. Can I have a minute of your time?" If you just say that and NOTHING ELSE to another 120 people it will be simply impossible not to make a sale. Find some Indian people. I haven't met any Indian who had a life insurance that was not NYL.

If you have no family or friends, continue knocking but this time just say "I'm a local agent from NYL. I believe we have the best life insurance for you here in town. Can I have a minute of your time?" If you just say that and NOTHING ELSE to another 120 people it will be simply impossible not to make a sale. Find some Indian people. I haven't met any Indian who had a life insurance that was not NYL.

Thank you very very much, that is extremely helpful. Short, and to the point. I'm gonna give this a shot next week!!

If anyone else has any tips or experience they'd like to share please do!

When you say "door knocking" you mean actually physically walking door to door ? Doesn't NYL provide you with sales training ? What about marketing their payroll deduct life products. They seem to be very competitive in that market and the fact that it creates multiple sales and opportunity for spin off sales to group members should make it more profitable than knocking on doors.

I think that it is admirable that you are starting out going door to door. Most new agents today do not want to put out that much effort. Door to door is an excellent way to start, but it is not easy both physically and mentality. The area that a new agent needs to develop the most is their ability to talk about the product with confidence and sound like an expert. This just takes practice and to do this you need people to talk to. Most new agents do not have much money for advertising, so door to door works. You can do this by using the telehone book and calling, but it is very easy for people to hang up on you. When you are at their door, it is harder for them to cut you off fast and it gives you a chance to use your personality and develop your persuasion skills. Be sure to leave them with a flyer and your business card. You may not get them, but you will be developing your skill that will lead to sales.

Great Job on getting out there and prospecting. Continue develolping your sales skills, and you will be sucessful.
It does take time, don't give up.

Also, Jabez, hit the nail on the head.

When you say "door knocking" you mean actually physically walking door to door ? Doesn't NYL provide you with sales training ?

They do indeed provide tons of sales training, but it's for being in the field, getting referred leads, product, etc etc. It's great training and I really enjoy it, but getting the clients is up to us. I just got some literature on their payroll deduction stuff and think this would be great to market, so thank you very much!

I think that it is admirable that you are starting out going door to door. Most new agents today do not want to put out that much effort. Door to door is an excellent way to start, but it is not easy both physically and mentality.

Very true as well, and thank you for the words of encouragement. Your philosophy is the same as mind. If I have to cold call someone, I certainly want to make it so I have more of a chance of securing information from them than them hanging up on me. :laugh:

And that is also true about the money - I'm always trying to find new ways to get in front of people without too much cost and have been working a lot on my website. I don't think I can post links yet but hopefully it's shaping up to be halfway decent!

Great Job on getting out there and prospecting. Continue develolping your sales skills, and you will be sucessful.
It does take time, don't give up.

Also, Jabez, hit the nail on the head.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words! I've gotten pretty bogged down after a full day of no's from people, but this forum and the people on it have been extremely encouraging, and now even in my own thread.

Back