New Agent Looking For What It Will Be Like In The Industry

Qadvisor

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new independent insurance agent, just graduated from college this past May. I'm specialize in Homeowners and Auto insurance; in the state of Pennsylvania. I just wanted to hear some valuable tips on what I should be doing, and what to expect. Like I said, I am new and I have a degree in marketing, but I am not 100 percent sure where to begin and what to expect in the life as and Independent Insurance Agent. I have made many calls and are use to rejection, but just hoping for some different methods that have recently worked for fellow agents.

Thanks everyone!

Work harder than the guy next to you, which in your case seems like it would be ins1983

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new independent insurance agent, just graduated from college this past May. I'm specialize in Homeowners and Auto insurance; in the state of Pennsylvania. I just wanted to hear some valuable tips on what I should be doing, and what to expect. Like I said, I am new and I have a degree in marketing, but I am not 100 percent sure where to begin and what to expect in the life as and Independent Insurance Agent. I have made many calls and are use to rejection, but just hoping for some different methods that have recently worked for fellow agents.

Thanks everyone!

Reach out to Thomasm on the forum, he seems to offer good advice for marketing p&c insurance.

Offer to do something for others. For example-go around to local car dealerships and let them know you can help them sell a car by providing immediate insurance binders/id cards to their customers who may need help. Visit real estate agencies and let them know you can provide home insurance quotes quickly and produce binders on the spot-help them sell homes. I have always offered to fill-out the dmv forms for my clients-especially useful to my international customers who don't understand how things work here. BE better than an 800 number.

Reach out to Thomasm on the forum, he seems to offer good advice for marketing p&c insurance.
Thanks for the shoutout KOC!

I don't know how tough door knocking would be in PA, but if you were to drop me from a helicopter I would want to land in a cookie cutter subdivision.

Just looking at Google Earth, Broomall and Drexall Hill near Pilgrim Park are the type of neighbourhoods and houses I knock every day.

Last edited:
Offer to do something for others. For example-go around to local car dealerships and let them know you can help them sell a car by providing immediate insurance binders/id cards to their customers who may need help. Visit real estate agencies and let them know you can provide home insurance quotes quickly and produce binders on the spot-help them sell homes. I have always offered to fill-out the dmv forms for my clients-especially useful to my international customers who don't understand how things work here. BE better than an 800 number.
Every agent in the world has that same elevator pitch. & the real estate agents and dealerships that you talk to have already heard it 100 times. You have to have something that makes you different. How about, "I'll get the clients immediate cards & binders but what my clients like the most is I show them how they can pay off their car YEARS earlier without paying an extra penny!"

How you do that is do a full evaluation & a lot of times you can save people $100 a month if you replace all their high coverages. (Assuming they have several types of insurance). Then they can use that $100 per month to pay their car off years earlier in some cases. Heck, if it's used they could probably make the whole payment with the $100. Or tell the dealership they got an extra $100 a month free what else can they get?! Does the wife want a new car?? They'd keep you around forever. All of a sudden you aren't just another insurance agent you're an expert.

Back