New Agent marketing plan......thoughts?

AgentBartlett

Expert
I have a list of 1,000 t65s in my area. About 30% have phone numbers. What I am doing is calling the ones that I can, and stopping by the ones that don't have a phone number. I NEVER talk about MA when I stop by. I have gotten into several homes this way and when I do I talk in very general terms about the options available to them. I tell them that the reason for my visit is to introduce myself and nothing more. If they want to talk more about the plans I tell them that I will run their Rx through my computer and will bring back a printout of the plans that cover all of your drugs. Thus setting an appointment. Now, I have only been in the business since January so no residuals coming in yet. I have to be a bit more aggressive than some, but I don't want to run afoul of.........(insert ominous sound here)......C...M....S.....
The drop by deal is good for 2 appts/wk. so far. Today I'll be on the phone all day to compare results. Looking for 8-10 appts./ week from my own efforts. Is that under shooting what is normal for a top producer? I don't care what Mr. average producer does. I didn't leave a good job to be average. :biggrin:

I have a list of 1,000 t65s in my area. About 30% have phone numbers. What I am doing is calling the ones that I can, and stopping by the ones that don't have a phone number. I NEVER talk about MA when I stop by. I have gotten into several homes this way and when I do I talk in very general terms about the options available to them. I tell them that the reason for my visit is to introduce myself and nothing more. If they want to talk more about the plans I tell them that I will run their Rx through my computer and will bring back a printout of the plans that cover all of your drugs. Thus setting an appointment. Now, I have only been in the business since January so no residuals coming in yet. I have to be a bit more aggressive than some, but I don't want to run afoul of.........(insert ominous sound here)......C...M....S.....
The drop by deal is good for 2 appts/wk. so far. Today I'll be on the phone all day to compare results. Looking for 8-10 appts./ week from my own efforts. Is that under shooting what is normal for a top producer? I don't care what Mr. average producer does. I didn't leave a good job to be average. :biggrin:

I think you are doing everything right. Working from lists I purchase has always been much more productive and cost effective for me than buying leads. A direct mail Med Supp lead is nothing more than a name and phone number that you pay way too much for.

I have a couple of questions and some comments.

Are you selling Med Supps and PFFS plans or just PFFS plans? Are you targeting large metro areas or are you, like me, mostly working in smaller communities?

I think you will find people between age 67 and 78 to be a lot more receptive than the turning 65 group. I have tried everything and turning 65 people have always been a difficult sale for me. I don't even mess with them anymore.

I think it is great that you are actually going on appointments and knocking on doors. In my opinion that is the best way to learn the senior market. Seniors like to be stroked and see the agent they are doing business with.

Moonlight said it best in another thread, selling insurance is about building relationships and nothing does that better than a face to face meeting.

Not going after the sale on the first meeting will be okay for a while but I think after you have been at this for a while you will discover that for the most part a Med Supp sale is pretty much of a one appointment close.

Checking their drugs is a good thing, but remember, you are not there to sell the drug plan, you can check their drugs after you sign them up for a Med Supp or a PFFS plan. I assume you are certified with several companies.

I could probably type another two pages of the things I have found that work for me. If you would like to discuss this further my toll-free number is at the bottom.

Thanks Frank. If I can see some interest in a Med supp I go after the sale right away. Last week I was able to do that once. I just don't want to get in trouble for writing a MA from a cold call and running their drugs is just a way to schedule a time to come back in, this time with an appointment. As far as single visit closes go, I came from the water softener industry where you show up, do a demonstration and leave 3hours later with an order for 3-6 thousand or nothing at all. I was really good but got sick of running all over Michigan at all hours of the night. I used to sell over 300 systems a year so I'm not afraid of hard work I just want to be smart about it. I am independent and write for Mutual of Omaha, Lincoln Heritage, Unicare, all the blues, Motorist, Forethought, and some anuuity carriers. I am in Grand Rapids, MI and in the city it's almost all MA:no:. But I am going to get a list of folks from some counties that don't have good MA plans and are under served by lazy agents (love lazy agents, the more the better, I say). I would much rather write Supps. I will take you up on your phone offer. Thanx

I am going to get a list of folks from some counties that don't have good MA plans and are under served by lazy agents (love lazy agents, the more the better, I say).

There are a "couple" counties in Indiana that do not have great MA plans, but my question to you is... "How do I know which ones are being served by Lazy Agents?"

And Frank don't say "The ones that Senior Advisor is working in!" :D

"How do I know which ones are being served by Lazy Agents?"

:D
Under served. In this area, I've found that the Metro Grand Rapids area is pounded but most agents won't drive 30 minutes outside of town. BTW....your the FE Guru, right? I've written only four FE policies this year so far, but would love to get really good at marketing FE. Do you mostly cross sell with health or do you send FE Postcards for leads?:idea:

There are a "couple" counties in Indiana that do not have great MA plans, but my question to you is... "How do I know which ones are being served by Lazy Agents?"

Lazy agents? They're everywhere! They're everywhere!

If it wasn't for lazy agents guys like you and me would have starved to death a long time ago. I thrive on "competition" and it is what has given me the degree of success I have had.

Back