New Agent, Multiple Option

baajluni

So, I am in a kind of unique situation I think. I am young and just passed my Life and Health exam. I have the option to work for a small agency that operates largely off of referral since they do many lines of business. I also have had Symmetry financial agents breathing down my neck to join. While Symmetry's marketing seems to be impeccable, I am not sure if aggressive recruiting and an IMO structured business is my thing. Anyways, I would have high payouts to begin with at the small agency (80-90%), help buying or generating leads, and high levels of mentorship from seasoned agents, some with large general contracts. What the small agency would lack though is a good, in-place prospecting systems for young new agents, this is where I think Symmetry would excel. So my options, as I see them, are (1) work for the small agency, with high payouts and figure out how to prospect well myself and really enjoy helping people get insurance, (2) contract with symmetry and benefit off the great marketing they do, or (3) a combo of both. Any help would be appreciated!

Do exactly what deadlily is encouraging you to do. Due diligence, some forum reading and searching (also some soul searching). Do you need the hand holding? Do you need someone that ask where you are when office hours start? Or are you the type of person that's already there without the supervision?

Thanks for the insightful replies! I have read the thread already recomended by Deadilly. Symmetry does not seem like a bad option, I like the company, I am just not sure I am an aggressive recruiter? At the small agency, I wouldn't have them breathing down my neck, I could work from home if I wanted, go on appointments with them or without them. I would be, in many ways, similar to a Symmetry agent just without the marketing supporting me or an aggressive recruiting culture (which I could personally care less for). There also seems to be this common idea of, "if you are internally driven and hard working Symmetry is the right job." I guess that just does not make sense to me. I am that person, but the IMO structure still doesn't strike me as the thing I want to work hard for. Anyways, like I said the benefit is that I would have great marketing at my fingertips with symmetry, but not the environment I would like. Anyways, both have their struggles. On top of that, and I could be completely wrong, the focus at Symmetry is not about getting people the insurance they really need. The insurance product is secondary to the sale, in many ways I think. At the smaller agency I would be surrounded by a group of guys who truly like meeting with and helping manage people's finances and maintain relationships with them, part of that by giving them the best products they can, not just is the cheapest and would sell.

Last edited:
The reason I asked about being internally driven is because an internally driven person can be an independent agent.

Someone that needs a bit of structure (somewhere to report to, someone that holds them accountable), may not fit into some IMO's structures.

Nothing against anyone that focuses sales, but my personality just doesn't let me do that.

For me, its a needs approach. The client has a problem, I need to find that problem, and provide a solution. I believe that's honestly the right thing to do. If i'm doing the right thing in the first place, the sale will come.

If you have to do something that feels against your morals (like putting the sale first, when you don't agree with it). I just don't believe it will pan out well.

I think I am leaning towards the smaller agency. Helping people plan their financial future is why I want to work in this business!

Hey Baajluni. Welcome to the forums!

Insurance agent's #1 problem is getting in front of interested people. I think the best choice for you isn't the one who gives you more "freedom" but the one that gives you a better plan to getting in front of people.

Good luck with your new carrier in the best industry known to man! :)

So, I am in a kind of unique situation I think. I am young and just passed my Life and Health exam. I have the option to work for a small agency that operates largely off of referral since they do many lines of business. I also have had Symmetry financial agents breathing down my neck to join. While Symmetry's marketing seems to be impeccable, I am not sure if aggressive recruiting and an IMO structured business is my thing. Anyways, I would have high payouts to begin with at the small agency (80-90%), help buying or generating leads, and high levels of mentorship from seasoned agents, some with large general contracts. What the small agency would lack though is a good, in-place prospecting systems for young new agents, this is where I think Symmetry would excel. So my options, as I see them, are (1) work for the small agency, with high payouts and figure out how to prospect well myself and really enjoy helping people get insurance, (2) contract with symmetry and benefit off the great marketing they do, or (3) a combo of both. Any help would be appreciated!

Any agency that wants new green agents recruiting other agents is a churn n burn. Plenty of huge ones out there. Doesn't make them a good place.

Do your research.

I think I am leaning towards the smaller agency. Helping people plan their financial future is why I want to work in this business!

The small agency doesn't have great marketing.. but do you really need great marketing if they have a book of business already? Will you be their only life agent? Maybe they will allow you to send out newsletters or do policy reviews on current clients. there's a forum member here @winoblues , he talks about how he sells life insurance only to his books of business and referrals in his podcast
Extracting Value From Your Book Of Life Insurance Clients – SellTermLife.com

I am currently an Agent with Symmetry. I would not recommend it to anyone due to the low commission rates. No renewals. Company making money off of leads. Insurance is a tough industry. However the rate I have seen agents drop out of my team is ridiculous.

Back