New Agent Needs Products to Sell

optimalprime

Greetings to all on this superb forum.
I'm a newly licensed producer for Life, Accident, and Health Insurance. I do not want to become a captive agent unless I have to, and read from many others on the forum that they wished they started out as, or otherwise recommend going independent.

I've read several threads for advice on starting out, especially DHK's "Guidance for New Life Agents" and CrabcakeJohnny's "Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent" threads... All excellent stuff to reread again and again...

However, I need specific, detailed guidance on how to get insurance products to sell to prospective clients... After all, what good is an insurance agent who has no insurance products to sell, right?

I am not currently captive at any company, I just got my licenses. While I have some training on the art of canvassing, door knocking, cold calling, and presenting & closing -- general how-to-do-the-work... I do not have products to sell. I would like to sell Life (Basic, Term, Whole, Universal, etc), Critical Illness, Medicare Supplements, etc. But I need products to sell to prospective clients, and I have none since I don't represent any insurance company.

I do not know the first thing about trying to find an IMO or group of other independents to take me on as a newbie to mentor. Starting my own agency is out of the question too.
I've read others say to be a broker. What is the process and benefits of that? What does it require?

All I know is that I would need to get E&O insurance for myself for sure.

Basically: What do I need to do at this point, now that I got my license, to get started selling insurance without working as a captive agent for a company?

Many thanks in advance, my fellow producers and veterans. I am looking forward to getting started!

Last edited:
Optim......
One of the first thing people want to know is "What state are you in"?
Many participants are leaders in their fields, and may be in a position
to offer a hand up.
All the best.
D.

What type of prospects do you want to call on? Are we talking 30 years who just bought a mortgage or 70 year olds needing coverage for a funeral. There are companies that can do both but the answer can help us point you to an upline. Most carriers have an IMO between you and them for training and contracting purposes, just realize many IMOs only care to contract you.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to respond.
I am currently in IL and while I am open to any age range of prospects, I feel most comfortable with the senior prospects, ages 60 on up. Maybe starting out, it would help to focus on one specific area? If so, then I would go with the senior prospects.

Norwayguy: If IMOs only care to contract new agents, would I be better off being a captive agent because at least then I wouldn't have to worry about handling all of the overhead business writing myself after the application is collected, getting E&O insurance for myself, etc, but let the company I work for handle all those extra details?

Thank you in advance to those who are willing to share their wisdom and help a fellow new producer get started out right. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend :)

Thank you to all of you who took the time to respond.
I am currently in IL and while I am open to any age range of prospects, I feel most comfortable with the senior prospects, ages 60 on up. Maybe starting out, it would help to focus on one specific area? If so, then I would go with the senior prospects.

Norwayguy: If IMOs only care to contract new agents, would I be better off being a captive agent because at least then I wouldn't have to worry about handling all of the overhead business writing myself after the application is collected, getting E&O insurance for myself, etc, but let the company I work for handle all those extra details?

Thank you in advance to those who are willing to share their wisdom and help a fellow new producer get started out right. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend :)

Contact Todd King and Newby about meds up and FE contracting not all IMOs are equal but they are two decent ones (so if I left someone out)

Contact Todd King and Newby about meds up and FE contracting not all IMOs are equal but they are two decent ones (so if I left someone out)

I sent them a PM. Thanks Norwayguy, for the recommendation.
Does anyone else have any suggestions what steps I need to be taking to get started as independent?

I sent them a PM. Thanks Norwayguy, for the recommendation.
Does anyone else have any suggestions what steps I need to be taking to get started as independent?

Get E&O....Figure out the market you want to serve...If I remember you wanted to market to the senior market Medicare products or FE Yes they can compliment but you need to focus on one area to get in the door then get your contracts and however you plan to market direct mail response cards, cold calling a list door knock whatever and start selling do not make the mistake of thinking you need to know everything first get out there and make some sales.

I know this is very self-serving, but there are associations an agent could join to learn about various products.

Can't put my finger on the exactly names right now. Maybe someone else can remember.

Rick

Get E&O....Figure out the market you want to serve...If I remember you wanted to market to the senior market Medicare products or FE Yes they can compliment but you need to focus on one area to get in the door then get your contracts and however you plan to market direct mail response cards, cold calling a list door knock whatever and start selling do not make the mistake of thinking you need to know everything first get out there and make some sales.

Then do you recommend focusing on selling regular life insurance to get in the door to make some sales first?

Back