New Agent Question on Whole Life Commission

insurancedoc

Expert
I am a new life agent. My only previous background in selling insurance was with selling several Final Expense policies.

I just have a question about Cash value whole life plans. My question is when the " Schedule of Compensation" for new agents for Whole Life Plans states say " 80 or 75 First Year Policy Commission", does the agent get the 80% or 75% 1st year commission monthly ? ( say the policy holder has $ 200 monthly premiums) So at $200 monthly, the agent would receive a check for $160 commission monthly for the first year???

Or is it a lump sum commission for the 1st year total premium amount?

Just trying to clarify since all I've ever done was FE which pretty much gave you a 6 or 9 month advance.

But not sure how commissions work for whole life plans ( or annuities)

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

I know it sounds so simple but rather get it right.

So at $200 monthly, the agent would receive a check for $160 commission monthly for the first year???

Or is it a lump sum commission for the 1st year total premium amount?

But not sure how commissions work for whole life plans ( or annuities)

Like LGilmore said it depends on the company. Some will annualize commissions (lump sum) and some pay "as earned"(monthly).
So you will just have to ask.

Since annuities are a lump sum product, first year commission is paid in a lump sum to the agent.

Like LGilmore said it depends on the company. Some will annualize commissions (lump sum) and some pay "as earned"(monthly).
So you will just have to ask.

Since annuities are a lump sum product, first year commission is paid in a lump sum to the agent.

Unless it is a flexible premium product in which case some companies will advance a portion of first year commission but mainly it is as earned.

Back