New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017

Discussion in 'Senior Insurance Forum' started by FMOadvisor, Aug 2, 2017.

1. FMOadvisor

FMOadvisor Member

It looks like UHC will be changing their release rules sometime next week. Here are the highlights as I understand them, Has anyone else heard anything?:

1. Agents can request a release and if their upline refuses to release them the release will still be effective 6 months later. The agent can continue to write business during this time. This is very similar to Humana and many other companies.

2. GA's, MGA's and SGA's can request a release for themselves and every agent in their entire downline.

3. All agents that want to transfer have to submit a new contract within 30 days after the 6 month waiting period is over.

4. There will be a new "blackout" period where no agent can move from September 1st to December 31st even if their upline agrees to an immediate release.

I know many successful agents who will be very happy about this rule change. I think it may be difficult to implement for agents with large downlines since every agent will have to sign a new contract within a 30 day window. Please let me know if anyone else has any information!
    :)

2. wehotex

wehotex Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow. That's great news. I guess that UHC saw that many agents in that situation DO NOT write UHC products for 6 months to leave a crappy up line. That doesn't exactly help UHC's numbers and bottom line. I know several agents that had to go through that 6-month song and dance.

3. timeflies

timeflies Well-Known Member

State:

Who are some of the other companies that apply this practice? Is Anthem one of them?

4. wehotex

wehotex Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes. Anthem also allows the agent to continue writing business while the 6-month period is occurring.

5. FLM2

FLM2 Well-Known Member

State:

Humana has the same rule-with no release letter there is a 6 month waiting period during which time you can continue to write business under the current upline. I am in the process of such a change so recently reviewed the rules.

6. FMOadvisor

FMOadvisor Member

Yes, I know many agents who will be changing uplines to find someone who gives them the support that they need. I think it was a great move by UHC.

7. Fisher

Fisher Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is the future status of your existing book in this scenario? Are you still AOR after moving to a new upline?

8. FMOadvisor

FMOadvisor Member

Yes, the agent remains as the AOR for all existing business when they transfer to a new hierarchy. UHC is very good about protecting the Agent of Record.

9. Fisher

Fisher Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    So then... all renewal commissions would continue to stay with the agent? (Just to be clear.)

10. FMOadvisor

FMOadvisor Member

Yes, that is correct, the agent will retain all renewals (as long as they are contracted as an agent and not a "solicitor"). Agents are paid directly by UHC and retain renewals. Solicitors are paid by their upline. I don't know many uplines that would pay renewals to a solicitor unless they had a prior written agreement to do that.