NEW AGENT Start Up List

crabtrap

Expert
Since I just started out I figured I would, " pay it forward" to those agents starting out.

Here is my advice:

#1 The business is full of sharks-

You are wearing pork chop pants in a lion cage!
Do not sign a contract in the first month of attaining your license. 95% of the contracts promising BIG money and yachts full of strippers (male or female to be C) aren't worth the paper they are written on. Don't sign a contract.

#2 If it looks good enough to eat, spit it out!

Stay away from any MLM, free LEADS and low commissions deals, you can get 100% commissions to start off. This includes but is not limited to NAA, First Insurance, Bankers Life, US Health advisors. These are just a few of the ones that I ran into on my journey to find a home.

#3 Get a mentor

Find someone on the board who has been in your shoes and learn from their mistakes to cut down on your learning curve. A more experienced agent will be able to explain things so that you can understand it.

#4 You WILL need some capital to get started

I would plan on having about 5k minimum to get started between licensing,test help,application fees, E/O insurance and getting some GOOD leads to start you off, it will take this much to set yourself up for success.

#5 You need to be a people person to succeed in selling insurance.

Contrary to popular belief, you are selling yourself, not the insurance. If you are confident speaking to people, know your products and look out for your clients best interest you WILL succeed. Practice your door knock ,pitch,introduction at home and master it so it becomes second nature.

#6 Plan on working hard and being rewarded

You write your own paycheck in this game, work hard and sow the seeds in the garden of success and before you know it, you will be harvesting handsomely. It takes a little time but is not as hard as people make it out to be.

Good Luck and feel free to contact me with ???'s

:goofy::1confused::biggrin::idea::yes:

Since I just started out I figured I would, " pay it forward" to those agents starting out.

Here is my advice:

Do not sign a contract in the first month of attaining your license. 95% of the contracts promising BIG money and yachts full of strippers (male or female to be C) aren't worth the paper they are written on. Don't sign a contract.

Stay away from any MLM, free LEADS and low commissions deals, you can get 100% commissions to start off. This includes but is not limited to NAA, First Insurance, Bankers Life, US Health advisors. These are just a few of the ones that I ran into on my journey to find a home.

#3 Get a mentor

Find someone on the board who has been in your shoes and learn from their mistakes to cut down on your learning curve. A more experienced agent will be able to explain things so that you can understand it.

I would plan on having about 5k minimum to get started between licensing,test help,application fees, E/O insurance and getting some GOOD leads to start you off, it will take this much to set yourself up for success.

Contrary to popular belief, you are selling yourself, not the insurance. If you are confident speaking to people, know your products and look out for your clients best interest you WILL succeed. Practice your door knock ,pitch,introduction at home and master it so it becomes second nature.

You write your own paycheck in this game, work hard and sow the seeds in the garden of success and before you know it, you will be harvesting handsomely. It takes a little time but is not as hard as people make it out to be.

Just curious.............if you just started, how are you able to pay it forward?

Agreed... but you've got to start somewhere, or YOU will be eaten alive!

You eat what you kill. If you killed it, it should be good enough to eat. If you don't develop your skills, you'll be eating rats instead of prime rib.

#3 Get a mentor

Sometimes mentors ARE the "sharks".

Licensing: Typically around $500 including pre-licensing courses.
Test help: ????
Application fees: My state charges a $22 appointment fee per carrier. Some agents pay this, and some carriers pay this. I always paid when I was a captive agent, but I've NEVER paid this as an independent.
E&O: Can be set up for a monthly draft, but it's not recommended. You won't pay more than $800/year for decent E&O.
Leads: Learn to hunt for yourself, if at all possible. Of course learning has its own costs, because there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

You should probably figure that part out first before going into this business. In addition, you need to know your ideal target market. The entire world is not your ideal client.

That's kind of the idea.

Good question but he has a good post??

Yes, it's a very good post. I wonder where it came from? He's an instant expert, which is puzzling...just 4 days ago he was looking for a mentor.:skeptical:

----------

I believe he is "just starting out" posting on the forums, as he just became a member November 2014...

Nope, just starting out. I know there are many experienced agents that have recently found the Forum and I don't think # of posts determine how much knowledge someone has. He says he's new to the industry.
V
V
V
11-07-2014, 12:33 PM #1

crabtrap

Expert

State: crabtrap is an Insurance Agent from

Newly Licensed Agent in Need of Help Newly Licensed Agent in Need of Help Go to Top

Hello forum-

I am a newly licensed general lines agent in Texas trying to navigate the minefields of scams and empty promises. I am a very hard worker and do not mind working 10 hr days and pounding the phones but I DO NOT WANT TO BE SCAMMED. It seema like there are all kinds of scams out there looking to chew on new agents witb swiss cheese plans, MLM platforms and bogus commussions.

My question to the experienced agents is where would I best be served starting? I would prefer selling multiple lines to best serve my clients needs.

Ps- i have lots of experience, 17 years, on the provider side of health care and can navigate a BS plan. I want to help my clients and build a great reputation and referral business.

Thanks

Here is my advice:

#3 Get a mentor

Don't sign a contract for the first month?

What will you know at the end of the month that you did not know at the begining? How are you supposed to make a living. If by doing something else, then why get licensed to start with?

This business is full of sharks?

Name one that isn't. Caveat emptor is the normal course in life.

5K to start?

That will eliminate 90% of the people that enter the business.

You need to be a people person to succeed in selling insurance. ?

Not really. I have known good agents that were some of the biggest grouches I have ever known but somehow they made it work.

Back