New Agent-Suggestions would be great-Thanks

eagle1

Hello All,

I am newbie in the biz. I am focused just on Health & Life.

I believe I have a much better understanding of the Health side of getting appointments with carriers & getting started. Thanks to the forum, and the Independet HealthAgentblogs & the Indie HealthAgent Association.

Would definitely want to go Independent agent.

However, Its the LIFE side that I now need some guidance.

Could anyone suggest how to get started in the Life side if I want to be an Independent agent ?

I want to initially focus on " Mortgage Protection" since my base of past clients are from the mortgage industry.

I prefer to do most of the selling from the phone & online if possible.

Just trying to figure out if the approach is the same as the healthside in getting aligned with carriers.

Thanks for all your input.

I can also be reached at [email protected]

Hello All,

I am newbie in the biz. I am focused just on Health & Life.

I believe I have a much better understanding of the Health side of getting appointments with carriers & getting started. Thanks to the forum, and the Independet HealthAgentblogs & the Indie HealthAgent Association.

Would definitely want to go Independent agent.

However, Its the LIFE side that I now need some guidance.

Could anyone suggest how to get started in the Life side if I want to be an Independent agent ?

I want to initially focus on " Mortgage Protection" since my base of past clients are from the mortgage industry.

I prefer to do most of the selling from the phone & online if possible.

Just trying to figure out if the approach is the same as the healthside in getting aligned with carriers.

Thanks for all your input.

I can also be reached at [email protected]

You should neither go independent in health OR life at the outset. Too green, too little experience. Odds SEVERELY against you. Why make it harder than it has to be?

You need some seasoning, as well as a good size marketing budget.

Get some experience, learn on someone else's nickel. When I went indy health, despite the fact that I had over ten years experience in the business, I worked at a health insurance agency for nine months to size up the market.

You should too.

I agree, I would look at a local Agency, with a Physical Office located close, that has a broad portfolio, good training, and lead support...

You will learn alot, your commissions will be lower than being independent, but you will again learn the ropes...

I would stay away from agencies who are captive to an insurance company...

If they are an actual FMO or have a good relationship with their FMO, that is always a plus...

I wish you the best

When I started in this business I was already a professional salesman. The local agencies were run by rummies and taught me how to be a loser so I went home and started making money.

You need to get with some FMOs to get contracts. Count on 20% for health and 100% on life.

Went indie with Mega - cluster f**k - then dove out and went indie with health - never looked back - never needed to be put on salary with a 50%+ commission reduction to make it.

That being said, everyone is different. I'm not an office and desk guy - never will be. If you really have an entrepreneurial spirit, working for someone in an office is not the right move.

If you're a good "worker bee" then working for someone in an office will be fine...and stay there since you'll crash and burn as an independent.

Went indie with Mega - cluster f**k - then dove out and went indie with health - never looked back - never needed to be put on salary with a 50%+ commission reduction to make it.

That being said, everyone is different. I'm not an office and desk guy - never will be. If you really have an entrepreneurial spirit, working for someone in an office is not the right move.

If you're a good "worker bee" then working for someone in an office will be fine...and stay there since you'll crash and burn as an independent.

Come on now Healthagent, you cant expect someone who just got their license to go out and start marketing health insurance with no kind of sales training...

Although possible, its unlikely that anyone would make it independent with no idea what competitive commissions are, what plans makes sense when, and how to actually sell a product...

I believe learning from an agency is 100 times more beneficial than sitting in a class for 20 hours and passing a test.

Unless their was some kind of Association that could help new agents get started...

;)Your Welcome

Latest posts

Back