New and Starting from Scratch

CR in STL

Expert
I am newly licensed and my preference is to start my own company from scratch and am aware of the challenges of no direct appointments. I have many years of sales experience and plenty of contacts so referrals shouldn't be an issue however my main concern is product and industry knowledge.

1. Other than the obvious learning by doing it what is a good place or way to learn industry and product information (books, seminars Etc)

2. Are the designations worth the time and money (I know they won't impress a customer) for the information I would learn

3. I heard of some insurance school out of state, don't remember the name

I am impressed that you are very open of starting your own company. Insurance is a very broad subject and learning its strategies is a continuous process. Research, seminars, and interviews from those who are very active on this field will help a lot. Good luck and more power to you!

I am newly licensed and my preference is to start my own company from scratch and am aware of the challenges of no direct appointments. I have many years of sales experience and plenty of contacts so referrals shouldn't be an issue however my main concern is product and industry knowledge.

1. Other than the obvious learning by doing it what is a good place or way to learn industry and product information (books, seminars Etc)

2. Are the designations worth the time and money (I know they won't impress a customer) for the information I would learn

3. I heard of some insurance school out of state, don't remember the name
1. To learn product and its features, you should use your GA and Carriers. Carriers often have seminar/webinar available you can participate. Your GA should offer you some product training.
2. Seems you like more titles. If you have time and want to be an expert, go ahead to get the designation. But I would suggest that you get your business up and running/making money before thinking of getting a designation. Just my opinion.

I am not looking for titles or designations I am looking more at the course content and if they are worth taking for the educational value

I took the course content for the CFP and it has been invaluable to me as far as confidence that I can help my clients.

What you are going to do is very difficult as an independent. But if you decide to do it, start by writing as much home/auto insurance as possible to build up a base income. While doing this take some CE courses in commercial insurance. That will earn you credits hours for your license renewal and help you better understand additional products.

Good luck!

Back