New BCBS Plans / Interesting Reform Info

For my family (43, 47, 9) if I wanted an affordable premium post 9/93 apocalypse it's Blue Preferred Saver coming in at $437.

It's benefit rich with 2 office visits, and a discount for name brand RX. Has a 10K deductible to boot.

Don't worry, HealthyBlue HSA is only $689/month with $5k deductible and $10k or $11.8k OOP max. But hey...at least you get "free" preventative care.

BCBS-IL just sent out a Special Bulletin to the field telling us to stop talking to our customers about what BCBS-IL may be doing in regards to healthcare reform. It also said that BCBS-IL will communicate with us when they have something to say.

They're probably about to implement a big rate increase for the 101 new preventive services. Wait a minute, they can't do that without state approval now...right? Could take MONTHS. Since all the brochures were removed from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois - Health Insurance Illinois - BCBSIL website this afternoon, a "hold" on sales may coming?

Think about this.

Obamacare does not have the authority to DIRECTLY EFFECT changes in benefits, nor does DC have the ability to regulate rates.

Obamacare actually requires the states to produce enabling legislation that COMPLIES with Obamacare. So far, I doubt if ANY state has passed new legislation that directly impacts policy language. They are just winging it and will continue to do so until the legislature gets around to writing new laws.

I suppose if they add more benefits, then it's not an actual rate increase when the premium is raised by 50%. It's becoming clearer to me thanks to ya'lls input. Thanks guys!
-AC

I'm noticing some slight rates increases but more than that I'm noticing some insane OOP's.

Like $15k/family on HealthyBlue Triple Option if you want PPO benefits? I can probably count the percentage of families that could afford to write a check for $15k on one hand.

Here's an oldie but goodie about BK's and health insurance:

Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

"Illness and medical bills caused half of the 1,458,000 personal bankruptcies in 2001, according to a study published by the journal Health Affairs."

"Today's health insurance policies -- with high deductibles, co-pays, and many exclusions -- offer little protection during a serious illness. Uncovered medical bills averaged $13,460 for those with private insurance at the start of their illness."

Back