New Business Tool - IPad or Laptop?

MaxReaver

Expert
Texas
So...

My license, E&O, and contract requests are all in good order. Just waiting for the carrier appointments to start writing some FE business.

Can you guys tell me what tool(s) you recommend for new business? I am mainly curious about the iPhone, versus iPad, versus laptop decision and pros/cons of each...

I am curious how you all manage having apps at the ready for so many carriers, and what method you use to take apps (when applicable) - written paper, ipad Pro with signature, or a laptop, etc...

Of course, I'll know more after some upcoming ride-alongs...

Thanks.

My friend that I work T65 meetings through the year and AEP meetings in the fall--are180 degrees different

He is a toy fiend--car with cameras and radar and intergalactic wifi--some doohickey on his night stand that he can order the shower to start, monkeys to fly etc. He has ALL of those things--$1000 phone, $2000 pad, million dollar computer etc.

I find all those limiting, annoying, more of an insulator between me and client-not to mention VERY expensive. I do paper MAPD, Med Sup and FE apps. I dont have a smart phone

I write the same number of apps a year as he does---and maybe $20,000 a year lower expenses.

Its like "Med Sup or Advantage"--hardly anyone makes that call based on data--its a personal call. As yours will be, no one can tell you that

L Pad, calculator, and one company's rate book and agent guide. Oh. A pen too.

Do you mean iPad? How are you getting by with one rate book? I would think you would need to be able to quote to best suited carrier based on underwriting. Or are you doing your quotes on an electronic device?

I know I at least will have my iPhone...just not sure I want all the headache of a iPad or laptop unless it really adds value.

Get FEX Quotes on your phone and put 5 folders in your sales kit. My choices for carriers are SNL, United of Omaha, Assurity, Transamerica and Americo. Don't forget Gerber for ROP. Every time I write an app I get a new one from my trunk to replace it. Ocassionaly go to the car to get a RNA or LB. Your company line up may vary depending on your state.

Get FEX Quotes on your phone and put 5 folders in your sales kit. My choices for carriers are SNL, United of Omaha, Assurity, Transamerica and Americo. Don't forget Gerber for ROP. Every time I write an app I get a new one from my trunk to replace it. Ocassionaly go to the car to get a RNA or LB. Your company line up may vary depending on your state.

Ya...I think I agree with your approach. I came pretty close to getting an iPad, but I am not so sure I really need it.

How reasonable is to to carry 5 apps? Will I end up having twenty different apps in the car as a "just in case?" With so many carriers and forms...

Everyone has their own way of doing it. Doug only takes minimal into the house and goes back to his car to get apps. I prefer to take a small sales kit. Probably don't weigh 3# fully stocked. It came in handy when I got attacked by a couple of dogs last week.

Do you mean iPad? How are you getting by with one rate book? I would think you would need to be able to quote to best suited carrier based on underwriting. Or are you doing your quotes on an electronic device?

I know I at least will have my iPhone...just not sure I want all the headache of a iPad or laptop unless it really adds value.

I mean "Legal Pad". My point is that for most people keeping it simple and writing one company and getting to know them very well and then moving on to another will make them a better agent. Gadgets are cool, and boy oh boy am I a gadget guy, but if you are new to this business they are the last thing to worry about. Learn what your importance to a client is and sell that. In order to do that you need to really know your market niche. "I" this and electronic that will just slow you down especially in the beginning. Just my 2c.

How are you getting by with one rate book? I would think you would need to be able to quote to best suited carrier based on underwriting.

Why would you think that? If they knew all the top quotes they wouldn't be having you at the table in the first place. As long as it's a fairly competitive company in most situations so someone doesn't slip in down the road. Learning only one company is probably preferred in the beginning anyway.

What presentation are you going with?

So...

My license, E&O, and contract requests are all in good order. Just waiting for the carrier appointments to start writing some FE business.

Can you guys tell me what tool(s) you recommend for new business? I am mainly curious about the iPhone, versus iPad, versus laptop decision and pros/cons of each...

I am curious how you all manage having apps at the ready for so many carriers, and what method you use to take apps (when applicable) - written paper, ipad Pro with signature, or a laptop, etc...

Of course, I'll know more after some upcoming ride-alongs...

Thanks.

The wife and I both carry a big ole sales book and never use anything electronic in the house. Just the phone for an occasional POS interview!:cool:

Back