New Captive Agent, Selling Life

Jstantontxfb

Expert
I've been trouble getting in front of people for the last couple of weeks, at first; I was on fire, no one could say no!
I have had 3 policies get rejected and the rest went through smoothly.

But I can't seem to get a yes!

I'm wondering if my proposal is just getting weak, or what.

Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've been trouble getting in front of people for the last couple of weeks, at first; I was on fire, no one could say no!
I have had 3 policies get rejected and the rest went through smoothly.

But I can't seem to get a yes!

I'm wondering if my proposal is just getting weak, or what.

Thanks!

I have been having trouble* excuse me folks

Last edited:
Always Remember... this is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll have good miles and bad miles along the race. What do you do no matter what? KEEP RUNNING! Find your pace and stick with it.

Good times and bad times in this business happen to all of us. Very few are upward only people. You just have to keep working and the good and bad will happen and the bad won't be so bad if you have other things going on.

This business plays out in cycles, how long the cycles are... month by month, week by week, day by day are up to you.

I know, my manager keeps telling me to be "a relaxed friend and a trusted advisor". Farm bureau is pretty good to new agents, they start us off with a book of business with about 200 clients and really spend time training us.

I think that the last batch of training may have made us "too smart" and now we're unable to sell. No one in my starting "class" has sold anything since we came back from life school.

Rejection can make one gun shy plus needed or wanting to make a sale too badly makes us seem needed and caused us to press too hard.

One example is: "we have whole life, and if something happens to blah blah, I want to just sell the other piece of property and I will take care of myself. I don't want to spend any more money on insurance."

One guy asked me to leave;
I made the mistake of talking to him with out his wife present. He said
"I don't need life insurance, she can just sell some of our assets!" He had two condos, a quadruplex, a delorean, and a house- all paid for, except the house, his company also provides one year of his salary to his spouse in the event that something would happen.
But that didn't cover the "gap". The same guy told me that he didn't want to set aside a portion for his kids college "they need to put themselves through school!"

Those are two examples.

I need to get in front of more people.

One example is: "we have whole life, and if something happens to blah blah, I want to just sell the other piece of property and I will take care of myself. I don't want to spend any more money on insurance."

One guy asked me to leave;
I made the mistake of talking to him with out his wife present. He said
"I don't need life insurance, she can just sell some of our assets!" He had two condos, a quadruplex, a delorean, and a house- all paid for, except the house, his company also provides one year of his salary to his spouse in the event that something would happen.
But that didn't cover the "gap". The same guy told me that he didn't want to set aside a portion for his kids college "they need to put themselves through school!"

Those are two examples.

I need to get in front of more people.

"I understand. Let me ask you a question: Do you want your spouse, in the middle of her grief and financial worry, to be forced to figure out:
- what property to sell...
- how to sell it...
- WHEN the best time to sell it would be for best market value...
- what to sell it for...
- who to assist her (assuming she can't do it herself)...
- how much to pay that person/firm...
- what else she can live on until these non-liquid assets do sell...
so she can continue to support herself because she didn't get enough of a death benefit from the life insurance?"

This is the "guilt them" into thinking how rotten of a husband they are for not thinking everything through well enough. Besides, is this the kind of client you really want? If someone really doesn't care about their family... should they be your client? Cut them loose.

"I understand. Let me ask you a question: Is having your kids pay for school what you WANT to have happen? Or is it something that you've decided that they HAVE to do for themselves... even if you're not here to help them?"

I do understand character development and not handing everything over to your kids to "make their lives too easy". I truly do understand that.

But is it what they want... or what they've settled for due to their own financial planning?

So, I'd forget about that angle and talk about maximizing college financial aid. You don't want to help them with cash for college, fine. How about ensuring that they can qualify for the maximum financial aid possible through repositioning assets?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Granted, if you don't know about repositioning assets to maximize college aid... you might not want to offer this service.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about "repositioning assets".

But I really like the angle you have, I guess I need to learn how to be quicker on my feet.

Back