Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I understand there are a lot of successful producers on this forum that can impart some wisdom upon the "new guys".

I have established a niche that I would like to attack. We have 4 standard carriers that have very competitive programs. With that being said the Niche I'm going after is Dental offices, they usually require BOP's, Workers Comp., and an Umbrella if needed. Professional is offered through dental associations in the area so I will not be pushing it until I meet with the client.

I would like to see what everyone's thoughts are prospecting, specifically your processes. How do you build a qualified pipeline of clients? Do you go straight for the appointment or do you try to get X dates on your calls? When do you cut your losses? etc.

If you guys have any other thoughts, ideas, or new strategies please let me know.

Showing consistency is the key to all commercial sales. show up regularly, bring something for the office, keep it short, get out of their way. Eventually someone will ask you a few questions and your answers may lead to a quote. Cut your teeth (no pun intended) on your own dentist's office and physician's office. they like you already. Be prepared for, "and please, don't come back". Word will get around because the Dr's and the staffs all intermingle with other practices

Got it, I think breaking it up would be more efficient, like you said. I have made the effort to ask my coworkers if I would be able to call there dentists and try to get a meeting with them, so far I have had some response. This is something I'm going to be incorporating over the next few weeks.

On the other hand I was talking with one of our top producers and he brought up the idea of being able to go to commercial buildings that we insure and go knock on the tenants door. Someone I work with owns over 25 buildings and is willing to let me go after his tenants business. I felt this would be great to supplement into my days while making calls and collecting basic information.

Door knocking can't be beat since you are onsite. Just remember that door knocking does not automatically get anything more than a "Hello". Think like an octopus. Work one arm at a time, move to the next arm, next day move to arm #3. rinse lather repeat

I build lists from ReferenceUSA... Here are some instructions I wrote a while back...

USING REFERENCE USA

1. Go to your county Public Library and get a library card

2. Log onto your library's website and look for either online tools or e-resources. Each library is different, but MOST have something like this.

3. Look for an online resource called ReferenceUSA

4. Log into ReferenceUSA using your library card info

5. Once in go to US business'

6. When you open up the US business database you will see a search box with two tabs on top... one basic search, and one advanced...

7. Go to the advanced tab. You are starting with EVERY US business and you can filter down to a certain locale, # of employees, public vs private etc etc

8. View Results, select the records you want, or all of them and download your spreadsheet...

You have names, titles, credit rating, the number of employees how long in business etc so when you call on a business you can say. "Hey is Karen or Bob, in?" As opposed to "may I speak to the insurance decision maker" which makes your receptionist want to either hang up or flip the switch to the trap door under you in their lobby (and they will).

The other good thing about this is that you will find business' that are off the beaten path that someone else may not see looking through the yellows or walking the beat that every other sales schmo does.

I hope this helps! It's been invaluable to me.

Trout Kirch

President/CEO

Horizon Agency Systems

www.agency.builders

You currently don't offer your cluster/group to Florida agents. Correct?

Which cluster or MGA do you recommend for a new P&C producer in Florida, to do both personal and commercial?

The Florida market I'm not as familiar with as some areas. I've got a list of about 20 questions I usually refer people to to ask the different networks. That usually flushes out a winner... you can probably search the forum for it looking at my posts or PM me (or I'll forget) and I'll send em to you.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I understand there are a lot of successful producers on this forum that can impart some wisdom upon the "new guys".

I have established a niche that I would like to attack. We have 4 standard carriers that have very competitive programs. With that being said the Niche I'm going after is Dental offices, they usually require BOP's, Workers Comp., and an Umbrella if needed. Professional is offered through dental associations in the area so I will not be pushing it until I meet with the client.

I would like to see what everyone's thoughts are prospecting, specifically your processes. How do you build a qualified pipeline of clients? Do you go straight for the appointment or do you try to get X dates on your calls? When do you cut your losses? etc.

If you guys have any other thoughts, ideas, or new strategies please let me know.

Hi there. I am 100% commercial p&c and have been brokering for about 8 years. I have a few pieces of insight.

First, you have a what it sounds like you "believe" is a competitive program. We will see how competitive it is when you hit the streets. I've heard this story 100 times about how competitive someone thinks their program is. Usually it's bs. Every carrier thinks they have a competitive program, because it's what their manager tells them. Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

Second, who is making the decision? Is it the office manager, or the dentists? If the dentists are making the buying decision, good luck getting ahold of them. It probably depends on the office, but you are going to have much better luck getting ahold of the office managers and speaking to them.

Third, dentists know each other. After you sell a few, start watching a lot of videos and reading articles on how to ask for referrals. I wrote an auto repair shop in a nearby town. Then I had him refer me to another. Then that guy referred me to another, and on and on. Now I insure around half the large shops in that town.

You currently don't offer your cluster/group to Florida agents. Correct?

Which cluster or MGA do you recommend for a new P&C producer in Florida, to do both personal and commercial?

Who are you currently writing with right now? Or you haven't started yet?

Latest posts

Back