New Gmail Slow to Load

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Based on the number of complaints that turn up in a search, I am guessing I am not the only one having issues with the "new and improved" Gmail.

Like so many things at Alphabet / Google, they like to fix things that are not broken and deprecate the older products most everyone loved.

More than 1 BILLION Gmail users out there.

Surprisingly (to me at least) is that Gmail is #2 (27% market share) behind Apple iPhone with 28% market share. Throw in iPad and Apple Mail and Apple has 45% of the market.
Email Client Market Share and Popularity - September 2018

Outlook is a distant 4th with 9% market share.

In the past I have used Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird and others but none compare to Gmail.

FWIW it seems that Inbox for Gmail is also going to be deprecated in the future.

Google Product Forums are no help. They suggest clearing your browser cache, consider a different browser (I use Chrome) and check any extensions.

In other words, it is my fault not Google's

I have a reasonably fast internet connection (30Mbps) but so far the only "solution" to the S L O W load is to switch to standard view and forget about using HTML.

While I am not overly fond of the new or old "face" for Gmail if I wanted non-HTML email I would just use my my ISP webmail.

Love to hear your feedback on this. The folks in Mountain View are tone deaf

I have email accounts at both Gmail.com and Outlook.com. I find the latter MUCH easier to use. I also have a Yahoo junk mail account and find that Yahoo mail is also easier to use and more flexible than Gmail.

I'll send something in gmail and a week later look for it in the "Send" folder and it's not there. When I look under "All," it's there. Plus, this is far more troubling...

I'll send an email to someone about a product I'm considering purchasing. The next time I go on Google, I get an ad for that product even though I never did a Google search or mention it anywhere other than in a Gmail email.

I have email accounts at both Gmail.com and Outlook.com. I find the latter MUCH easier to use. I also have a Yahoo junk mail account and find that Yahoo mail is also easier to use and more flexible than Gmail.

I'll send something in gmail and a week later look for it in the "Send" folder and it's not there. When I look under "All," it's there. Plus, this is far more troubling...

I'll send an email to someone about a product I'm considering purchasing. The next time I go on Google, I get an ad for that product even though I never did a Google search or mention it anywhere other than in a Gmail email.

Troubling how? Google has always been clear they scan emails for key words. Its free, it has always been ad supported in some manner.

Depending upon your outlook, it could actually be a good thing. Now you are seeing ads that are relevant to you, versus those that aren't. So now they aren't annoying and a distraction, but something you could actually use.

I just bought a guitar amplifier. I can expect to get Google ads about that amplifier in particular and others for many weeks to come even though I have zero interest in them. I can look up something on a one-time basis, perhaps something I read in an article, and anything marketable related to that will continue to appear on my screen. I imagine what they're doing is done non-nefariously by bots, but it brings into question how much personal information they're intercepting, how long they keep it, and what they might be doing with it. What if I read an article about HIV and AIDS and start researching it. Is there a chance that my interest could be communicated to a healthcare insurance provider and that information could be used adversely based on false assumptions? Yes, sometimes getting ads about things that are of interest can be helpful, but what can be used for good can be used for bad. Besides, if I'm really interested, I'll initiate the search myself.

Please refrain from this commentary until you know how Google Ads actually work.

They do not tell any advertiser your interests. Instead, Google and Facebook, display ads where the advertiser has indicated they want to reach people with certain interests, in certain areas, or of certain demographics.

So to use your example that you are researching HIV and AIDS for a paper. Neither Google nor Facebook would tell anyone that you are interested in these topics. What they would do is display ads to you from advertisers who want to reach people who are interested in these topics.

Which is why your privacy is much better protected than you realize with online advertising. Until you provide your information, advertisers don't know who you are or that you even saw their ad.

Even in your guitar amplifier example, the only person who knows who you are is the merchant that actually sold it to you, and they still don't even know it is you online. All the other companies are simply trying to reach people interested in guitar amplifiers. Although this is a bit of flaw in re-targeting, had the merchant uploaded you as a customer, you would be seeing ads for ancillary products instead of more amplifiers.

I understand how we are TOLD such ads work. Facebook uses "Pixel" to find out what its users are looking at on other web sites. On Facebook, if I get tired of such ads for one-timer purchases, I can get Facebook to stop showing them with a click. But "Facebook" (and Google) knows what I've looked at and who I am. I have no way of knowing with certainty that "Neither Google nor Facebook would tell anyone that you are interested in these topics." They say they won't, but I have no assurance of that.

Allstate won't share telematics information.....except:

https://www.allstate.com/landingpages/drive-smart-disclaimer.aspx

https://www.allstate.com/about/privacy-statement-aic.aspx

Information has great economic value today, especially with the "big data" frenzy. Often what people and companies say and do are two different things.

BTW, congratulations on the big Vol victory Saturday.

Anyone using the internet should have no expectation of privacy.

IP addresses are tracked.

Browser history.

Email tracking.

Website cookies and spiders.

It's everywhere. Don't kid yourself into thinking you are safe from prying eyes.

And don't fool yourself into thinking data vendors like google and facebook have never been hacked and your data 'shared'.

I do use chrome incognito windows a lot. Mostly for software testing, but its also a decent way to browse for a present for your spouse without suddenly getting retargeting ads for those products all the time.

So, if you use incognito windows, use a VPN and don't log into any sites, you might be reasonably invisible. Of course, you quickly find the web doesn't function as well either.

Dan

Back