New Here and Need help

C2WIns

Hi,

I just got my Louisiana P&C License and don't want to be a captive agent. I have a little savings and would like to be independent. I just need a little guidance to get started.

Anyone willing to help?

Thanks

Hi,

I just got my Louisiana P&C License and don't want to be a captive agent. I have a little savings and would like to be independent. I just need a little guidance to get started.

Anyone willing to help?

Thanks

Do you have any actual experience? Unlike what many think, this is not an easy job. You have to know how to market yourself and surprisingly know the products you sell.

You might be better served working someplace for a couple years and learn the business first.

LGilmore I currently work in banking. I'm not expecting easy. I have a couple of folks asking me about policies and I have a few friends and family who are Real Estate Brokers that I will ask to let me quote clients among other people and businesses that I know.

Insurance 1822 a little bit.

LGilmore I currently work in banking. I'm not expecting easy. I have a couple of folks asking me about policies and I have a few friends and family who are Real Estate Brokers that I will ask to let me quote clients among other people and businesses that I know.

Insurance 1822 a little bit.

My concern for you is you're still coming in cold to a very hard business. After you've sold family and friends, who's next?

Overhead is a killer. I would advise you to start somewhere, captive for at least a couple years, learn the business, then throw out your shingle as an independent. It is better to have somebody else pick up some of your expenses while you learn.

Even if you're not expecting easy, the failure rate is about 90% within two years. You have to make money short term to be long term. I still use 20 years later the knowledge gained working as a captive in the decade before I went independent. I don't know if I would have lasted if I started cold out of the box as an independent. Starting as an experienced independent still wasn't easy, but it worked out.

My concern for you is you're still coming in cold to a very hard business. After you've sold family and friends, who's next?

Overhead is a killer. I would advise you to start somewhere, captive for at least a couple years, learn the business, then throw out your shingle as an independent. It is better to have somebody else pick up some of your expenses while you learn.

Even if you're not expecting easy, the failure rate is about 90% within two years. You have to make money short term to be long term. I still use 20 years later the knowledge gained working as a captive in the decade before I went independent. I don't know if I would have lasted if I started cold out of the box as an independent. Starting as an experienced independent still wasn't easy, but it worked out.

LGilmore this morning I called my Insurance agent and asked if they were looking to add team members and I got a yes. Sent a copy of my license and will go from there. Thanks for the advice.

LGilmore this morning I called my Insurance agent and asked if they were looking to add team members and I got a yes. Sent a copy of my license and will go from there. Thanks for the advice.

If you can learn the business on somebody else's dime, not a bad way to start. You'll get less in commissions than on your own, but your overhead will be a lot lower. Good luck and best wishes for your start in the business.

Latest posts

Back