New here-Husband and wife business owners/health insurance

KimZim

My husband and I own a small business in Arkansas--we run a convience store and we are a bait and tackle shop that sells live bait year round. We lease the c-store from the oil company-we don't own the building-only the inventory inside. Just a "mom and pop" store where we have a great customer base along with our regulars that come early and have coffee with us. We have been here for 28 years.
I am at a loss about this health insurance--I HATE dealing with the marketplace-its a total waste of my time. What are our options regarding coverage for my husband and myself-decent coverage that wont put us in the poor house.
The Marketplace is a joke-do all of the paperwork-send all needed documents in and they declare we qualify for tax credit..great-excellent monthly premium..then when tax time rolls around...they determine we actually didn't qualify and we pay it all right back. I am sick to death of dealing with them! Help please!!

Welcome to the joys of semi-socialized healthcare. Isn't the government great? What used to take 5 minutes of paperwork now takes 2-3 hours, days/weeks-on-end of follow up, and much of the doctor/plan acceptance information on the healthcare.gov website is out-of-date.

I would recommend Bing'ing (I hate Google), to find a local health insurance broker in your area. The problem, however, is since the government got involved with healthcare, most brokers that previously did individual major medical exited the market because pay was dramatically slashed, and the workload was quadrupled.

There really is no way around it, however. This is what happens when the government gets too much power.

Last edited:
Just a WAG but it sounds like you tried to underestimate your earnings.

Several years ago I had a new to Medicare prospect tell me that the ACA was crap (agreed) because they had to pay all the discounted premium they got, back! I explained that they made more than they estimated they would. They denied it.
From now on when a new to Medicare client says the same thing, I just agree with them.

Back