New Independent Agent - Looking for Feedback

applecali

Hi everyone!

I am just getting started in the insurance industry, working as a producer for an independent agency ($8 million annual premium). My fiance's father started the agency in the early 90's and is still working as the owner and agent. The agency sells 75% commercial and 25% personal lines. Very little life or health. He invited me to join earlier this year as a producer, and I left my corporate sales job (in consumer goods) to join the family business. The agency has over 150 carrier placements and is a member of a cluster.

I've passed the state P&C and Life & Health exams, and am now ready to rock and roll !!!

I wanted to lay out my situation, and get feedback on if I am on the right track or not?

Where my head is at:
1. Take care of the client/customer and everything else falls into place
2. I am in it for the long haul and have made peace with the fact that it is going to take years to get fully established (my fiance has a stable, good paying job and will help us stay afloat until I get on my feet).
3. I want to get deeply involved in our local community and various associations (Rotary, volunteering, etc).
4. I need to remind myself to be patient
5. I want to get to the point where I can be selective with who I take on as my client

My sales plan:
1. Talk to 10 people about our business per day (cold calls, in conversation, while networking.
2. Create referral networks from realtors, loan agents, community leaders, current clients, CPA's, etc.
3. Actively contribute in social media (Facebook, twitter, maybe a blog)
4. Continue to learn each week from books, journal articles, web forums (like this!) and mentors
5. Never give up

I am starting small with BOP's for salons, landscapers, janitorial services and then moving on to other arenas after that.

I am very excited about the world of insurance. It seems like it is flyer under the radar for my generation. I worked for a large corporation for 3 years after college and was successful, but did not like the corporate culture.

If anyone has any feedback or pointers, please let me know. I know it is going to be a lot of hard work to get up and running...

Take care-

I call BS, no agency has 150 appointments, hell, are there even that many carriers in the state?

I'm no expert, but sounds like a good plan. Finding multiple ways to market is good - internet, networking, referral partners, community events, etc.

Have you thought about cross-selling life products to the existing book of P&C customers?

Do you get along well with your father in law? Could be good and bad to work with family, but if he mentors you, you can take over the business one day - not a bad deal. Sounds to me like you have the right attitude.

That does sound like a lot of carriers. However your plan sounds good lots of activity. Have you guys thought about leveraging the existing clients? It's an easy cross sell if they already bought a service from the agency. Maybe you can call and say something like September is life insurance awareness month and I'm calling to offer a free review of your insurance needs. Then set up the appointment. Never discuss too much about products on the phone just go for the appointment. Good luck. Remember prospect, prospect, prospect.

I call BS, no agency has 150 appointments, hell, are there even that many carriers in the state?

Fact Check: our website has 115 carriers listed. The 150 came from our owner so he must have something going on that I'm not aware of yet :) Maybe it's an E&S thing???

As for the relationship, I understand that it could be bad or good... We have a mostly good relationship. He is somewhat of a bear though and I haven't worked with anyone like him before. Aggressive style, but very very willing to teach and share the knowledge.

lmt: I'm not sure if we have done any targeted stuff with cross selling, but that is a good opportunity.

The agency is very far behind the curve on social media, I will do my best to help with that.
Thank you all for the responses.

One more question - do you guys think it is okay to have an individual insurance blog aside from the agency's website? I would like to develop my own brand outside of the agency as well. Not sure what the boss will think of that though. Also, the business cards are very bland and generic. I am considering having some additional business cards made that could highlight maybe our Facebook page, or my blog if I make one... Linked in... Twitter...?

Last edited:
Developing your own brand might be kind of hard since you're not really Indy. You should work first on getting clients, working on the sales presentation etc. On my business cards I actually have a picture and people seem to like it as it creates trustworthiness and people remember who you are when they pick up your card. You'll stand apart from everyone else.

Developing your own brand might be kind of hard since you're not really Indy. You should work first on getting clients, working on the sales presentation etc. On my business cards I actually have a picture and people seem to like it as it creates trustworthiness and people remember who you are when they pick up your card. You'll stand apart from everyone else.

That makes total sense - thank you. I think the picture on the business card would be helpful... I need to focus on actually learning what I am selling.

I wouldn't put your blog on your cards until you have been blogging for 6 months or so, this way you have some content. Many people start blogs and don't keep up with them and its embarrasing if a client goes to your blog and you only have a few posts that arent recent.

I dont think its a bad idea to brand yourself, just make sure you have a professional looking site that makes you look credible.

Latest posts

Back