New independent Agent

husety5

Hello,

I’m getting into the industry and have recently came across this forum. While in the process of getting appointed by a great insurance company (Erie) I’ve spoke with a couple agents in my area about what it takes to be successful in this business as a new independent agent with no prior experience. What are your thoughts? Also, is there any independent agents out there that could share your expirences with Erie Insurance? From what I’ve read the Erie scratch program if appointed is a great start into this industry. Thoughts? I’m very appreciative of any feedback. Thank you.

Look at how much of the personal market has been lost to the TV call center personal insurance companies (Geico, Nationwide, Progressive) and the internet personal lines companies (Esurance, Lemonade, Hippo) in the last 10 years. There is no reason it won't continue to accelerate with the advances in internet usage, technology, and ai.

Focus on commercial, take your lumps, and learn it. Find a commercial niche. While the majority of agents fail, that's what I did. Now 7 years in, I work only 10 or 20 hours a week. Sometimes 30 if things get crazy. I just got back from a weekend at my vacation house, then I work for two days, then I go do the desert for a week of dirtbiking.

Hello,

I’m getting into the industry and have recently came across this forum. While in the process of getting appointed by a great insurance company (Erie) I’ve spoke with a couple agents in my area about what it takes to be successful in this business as a new independent agent with no prior experience. What are your thoughts? Also, is there any independent agents out there that could share your expirences with Erie Insurance? From what I’ve read the Erie scratch program if appointed is a great start into this industry. Thoughts? I’m very appreciative of any feedback. Thank you.

I'm a new agent and new to the forum. I decided to focus on just one product for the time being, Medicare. However, there's lots of agents who have found their niche based on where they live and the types of products they like selling. Insurance is like a giant buffet, you can choose to sell a little of this and a little of that or you can focus on just one thing. In the long run I believe specializing will bring the greatest success!

I've been watching a ton of videos on sales and one common theme among those who are successful is the unbelievable confidence they have in themselves and the market! There's 350 million Americans and they all need insurance!

I decided to narrow in on a product and then give myself a year to find 100 clients. Worst case scenario, I adjust and adapt as I go or it takes a little longer. Best case, it happens in a few months! :)

Good luck!

Insurance industry is vicious, roughly about 9 out of 10 people won't make it. Two of the most important thing for success in my opinion is:

1) Marketing
2) Networking

If you can't do these two things, you better have money to hire someone to do it for you. I don't care how knowledgeable you are with your products. I don't care if you have the world's greatest sales system. I don't care if you have 10,000 designations after your name. It all means crap if you have no one to talk to.

Back