New Insurance Agent Help

jal17

Hello all,
I'm interested in becoming an insurance agent and wanted to ask a few questions. I know that classes need to be taken before a state license exam, however I'm not sure where to take these classes. Does anyone know where classes in Virginia can be taken? Also any other advice or info on things that are needed for someone starting out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Enough money to live on for at least six months, willingness to work twelve hour days, a very thick skin, be overly determined to "not let the bastards get you down", good communication skills, excellent product knowledge, a strong support group and a little beginners luck wouldn't hurt.

Put that in a pot, bring to a boil and stir every two hours, let cool and drink a glass full every day.

I drink two glasses a day. :)

Hello all,
I'm interested in becoming an insurance agent and wanted to ask a few questions. I know that classes need to be taken before a state license exam, however I'm not sure where to take these classes. Does anyone know where classes in Virginia can be taken? Also any other advice or info on things that are needed for someone starting out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Go here: http://www.prometric.com/Virginia/Insurance.htm

I'm not sure, read a little bit of the requirements, there really doesn't seem to be much at all. Yet they do give you the link of the company that does the testing. Give them a call, they be more then happy to let you know all the finer details.

Before anyone can give you info about a career in Insurance you will need to establish what kind of insurance you want to be involved in plus what market you want to perform in. The process of being License will not help you in this at all.

Great advice. Definitely find out which lines you'd want to sell, then do some research on commissions. A lot depends on you and your personal situation. Some people have a lot of money stuck away and have manageable bills. If that's the case you're fine. Others are waiting for their next check so they can put gas in their car.

Too many people get licensed and say "now what." It would be nice to have a plan in place that you could inact after you get your license.

What lines appeal to you? Life, health, P&C?

Jal17

It's too bad you don't live closer to me. I would invite you to spend a couple of days following me around to see what working in the senior market is like.

If you would like to give me a call I will be more than happy to explain what I do and answer any questions you have. Getting started is confusing, I remember those days well.

My phone number is below.

I guess I am most interested in doing P&C. However, I also have an interest in life & disability insurance as well as annuities.

The very best thing to do would be to isolate a specific niche that you enjoy, and then to try and find a mentor in your area that can help you along. On the pc side, I know a few people who have joined forces with a successful older person, and have eventually bought them out. It is a great way to learn the biz, and you have a nice in for future ownership.

Back