New Marketing Concept. (Its all original)

gradyinsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Okay, so a friend of mine was in a wreck last week. She wasn't hurt too badly, but I decided that it would be a nice gesture to send her a get well soon card. I had some blank cards with a nice print on the front, put a few lines about wishing her a speedy recovery, and mailed it. I had forgot about it completely, until I ran into her at a christmas party last night. She was so glad to see me, and said the card meant a lot to her, and lifted her spirits considerably after her accident.

It got me to thinking, what if I got the names of all of the people who had had accidents in the area over a week, sent them all get well cards, with an appropriate note about now being a good time to go over their life coverage? Do you think it would work?

Dave

Okay, so a friend of mine was in a wreck last week. She wasn't hurt too badly, but I decided that it would be a nice gesture to send her a get well soon card. I had some blank cards with a nice print on the front, put a few lines about wishing her a speedy recovery, and mailed it. I had forgot about it completely, until I ran into her at a christmas party last night. She was so glad to see me, and said the card meant a lot to her, and lifted her spirits considerably after her accident.

It got me to thinking, what if I got the names of all of the people who had had accidents in the area over a week, sent them all get well cards, with an appropriate note about now being a good time to go over their life coverage? Do you think it would work?

Dave

Dave,

This is the kind of thing that gives insurance agents a bad reputation.

Why not just work the survivors from the obits?

Dave

You're on the right track, but I don't think it will works. Here's why...

1) How are you going to find out what people were involved in an accident? Hospitals cannot release that information because of HIPAA and privacy issues. You'd have to stand outside the emergency room, wait for people to come out after being helped, write down their License plate number and run a DMV check (costs $10 per person I think in MD) and then sent them a card saying, "Hey, I stalked you outside of Get Rich Hospital and saw that you broke your leg. This is a good time to sit down so we can discuss your options like accident insurance."

2) You'd probably end up angering somebody with that type of approach and cause them to feel embarrassed and take it out on you.

3) Here's what I would. Get a list of some people and but a band-aid inside the envelope with a statement that says, "It doesn't help to put a band-aid on a broken leg." (insert graphic here)

"According to XXXX, this products can cost you XX amount of dollars that you will end up paying for should an accident occur. Give me a call and I will show you how to reduce your health care costs and save up to 40% off your current expenses. Act now and I'll throw in the movie Sicko at no charge :)

Look, you have to try "something" different to expand sales. Nobody wants to buy life insurance. NOBODY. (Those who did bought it from woodmen of the world when they were 19). You have to catch them at the right time, i.e. when they are a little shaken up, to get them to buy.

Seriously, though, nobody really thinks that they are going to die anytime soon, and when these same people get to the age that they see the need for insurance, they can't afford it. I know what it can be like to lose a parent, and for him to be underinsured.

Selling life insurance is, whether our clients appreciate it or not, doing people a favor. It is the only thing that can provide for your family when you are gone. Sometimes, in order to get people to "see the light", we have to be a little pushy, and maybe to some it is not tasteful. But to me, if it can actually provide a benefit for a family in their time of need, its worth whatever the marketing might look like.

Dave

In this area, salpro, the local police and highway patrol publish weekly accident reports in the local paper, with the involved parties names and addresses.

But, I do see where it might have its drawbacks, especially in regard to item number 2, where you mention the embarassment part. But, this is my first original marketing idea, so I was trying to build on it as best I could.

Dave

Dave

no

In this area, salpro, the local police and highway patrol publish weekly accident reports in the local paper, with the involved parties names and addresses.

But, I do see where it might have its drawbacks, especially in regard to item number 2, where you mention the embarassment part. But, this is my first original marketing idea, so I was trying to build on it as best I could.

Dave

Well, in that case, call them and let them know that you are taking a survey about people who recently had an accident and would like 2 minutes of their time.

If you insist on going ahead with something like this, be a little more subtle.

Use a criss-cross directory to get names of neighbors. Then do a mailing to folks offering a review of their life insurance. Try not to make it seem so obvious that the reason for the mailing is because a neighbor died . . .

If you insist on going ahead with something like this, be a little more subtle.

Use a criss-cross directory to get names of neighbors. Then do a mailing to folks offering a review of their life insurance. Try not to make it seem so obvious that the reason for the mailing is because a neighbor died . . .

HaHa, that last line gave me a good laugh.

"Hey Bob, Mr. Insurance here. I'm sure your aware of the fact that your neighbor died due to the moving trucking, people crying and sheriff's office posting a foreclosure sign on the front door. You're probably thinking right now that this is the perfect time to get life insurance. Give me a call before it's too late! and we can see some what-if scenarios. You can reach me at 1-800-$$$-HOLE"

Latest posts

Back