New Meat Has Questions!

It's very difficult to work one day a week and guess what your averages may be. I certainly wouldn't suggest it for a new agent. Jeans are just fine to wear on appointments, be comfortable in your outfit and it'll show in your numbers.

It's very difficult to work one day a week and guess what your averages may be. I certainly wouldn't suggest it for a new agent. Jeans are just fine to wear on appointments, be comfortable in your outfit and it'll show in your numbers.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of numbers based on industry averages for a new fish?

If say I run 5 appointments on a Sat, how many should I expect to close and at what avg premium?

1. Starting out you should always door knock your leads. Especially if you're only planning on doing this part time.

2. I was taught to wear a suit when I started in the biz so that's what I do. I think as long as you look presentable you'll be fine. Remember, you're going to be asking for social security numbers, bank account numbers, and families info all within 30 mins from meeting them. Looking SHARP will help.

3. You'll always meet people that don't like the day & time you contact them. If Saturday & Sunday are the only days you have off from work then do what you gotta do!

4. I don't think you'll ever need it but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Final expense is done in the rough parts of town but remember they asked for your help by filling out a card. Since you have permission to contact them you will be fine.

What is realistic? Is $720 in weekly AP working only on Sats reasonably doable? $500?
As for my background, I would characterize my sales experience as novice.
2-3 Sales a day is totally doable while door knocking leads as this is what my wife and I were doing in our first year. Your issue is going to be a combination of working part time added to being a "novice" at closing sales. All the math and expectations you can imagine, won't change this!

Ask yourself the following?

1. How many hours a day can I spend learning, a solid presentation along with the ins and outs of the carriers and the FE business?
2. Will I be able to go in the field 1 day a week and go back a week later, and start right where I left off without skipping a beat?
3. Will I really be able to work a full time job and then work another 9-12 hours on the weekends with my final expense business?

Well, either way, ... Happy hunting, dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
2-3 Sales a day is totally doable while door knocking leads as this is what my wife and I were doing in our first year.

Thanks for your response.

If 2-3 sales working primarily Saturdays is doable, what then would you say is the average premium per sale? I get the impression the typical range is $40 to $60 a month.

I am just trying to get a good feel so I can set some realistic goals. I appreciate everyone's feedback here. What I am hearing thus far is encouraging!

Thanks for your response.

If 2-3 sales working primarily Saturdays is doable, what then would you say is the average premium per sale? I get the impression the typical range is $40 to $60 a month.

I am just trying to get a good feel so I can set some realistic goals. I appreciate everyone's feedback here. What I am hearing thus far is encouraging!

Average will be roughly around $50 per month. This is dependent on you being trained correctly and showing prices the right way. A lot of agents are trained to be order takers and end up failing.

Hello all,

Firstly, I am thankful for a forum like this as a great resource for someone like me who is new to the FE business!

Secondly, being familiar with traditional life and DI, FE is an entirely new beast to me! I am respectfully requesting some advice on the following from you salty dogs :)

I will be in-production part time as I have a full time job M-F I don't want to give up (just yet anyway ;) )

1) Phoning leads versus door knocking and expected conversion rate for each: I will only be working weekends, but I could call for appointments during the week if necessary. Any advice as to what is statistically more successful on converting leads to sales?

2) What to wear: I know this is a lower income target market. I despise neckties with a passion! What are most of you guys wearing in the field? Can I get away with a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt? Would dress slacks & shoes be better? Does it even matter?

3) Working on Sunday: I will definitely be putting in some Saturday time, but what about Sunday? Any of you heavy hitters having luck on Sundays? Any drawbacks?

4) Being armed: No, I am not trying to start a mess here so please don't turn this into a gun debate. I live in TX and take my 2nd amendment rights seriously within the limits of the law. Have any of you had any safety issues that make concealed carry worth considering? In the interest of your privacy, please do not tell me if you do/don't...I am merely asking for input as to whether some people feel it is advisable or if many have had issues with feeling safe.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I look forward to contributing as an active member.

The only guns I ever carry are my right and left. No need for anything else.

And honestly, it really doesn't matter how much you study prior to going out in the field. It helps, but what it comes down to is, the best possible way to learn this business is to go out and start doing it.

I was all about the analysis paralysis type approach to. That being said when I really started making strides it was because I was out there grinding. Experience is the BEST teacher.

I was all about the analysis paralysis type approach to. That being said when I really started making strides it was because I was out there grinding. Experience is the BEST teacher.

Good point indeed. I am just focused on goal setting at this point.

Thank you.

----------

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice!

Good point indeed. I am just focused on goal setting at this point.

Thank you.

----------

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice!
The most important thing for a new agent is access to face to face training & mentoring.

We can tell you the averages but that means nothing because it all depends on the agent!

Where are you located?

Where are you located?

I am located in north Dallas, TX. I've actually been a licensed life & DI producer for over 15 years but always mostly moonlighting.

In 2014, when I was between jobs in my IT profession, I wrote over $40,000 in base life and DI premiums (18 lives) over 90 days doing nothing but cold calling. I have had some limited success like this, but I have never been a full-time producer save for a few months between jobs.

I know enough to be dangerous :)

Back