New Meat Has Questions!

I am located in north Dallas, TX. I've actually been a licensed life & DI producer for over 15 years but always mostly moonlighting.

In 2014, when I was between jobs in my IT profession, I wrote over $40,000 in base life and DI premiums (18 lives) over 90 days doing nothing but cold calling. I have had some limited success like this, but I have never been a full-time producer save for a few months between jobs.

I know enough to be dangerous :)
That's great you've already had some success selling life insurance. That's a lot of premium off of just cold calling! Why didn't you continue doing that? 40k AP in 90 days is pretty good money!

That's great you've already had some success selling life insurance. That's a lot of premium off of just cold calling! Why didn't you continue doing that? 40k AP in 90 days is pretty good money!

Primarily because I make more as a Service Manager for a large IT firm (when I factor in things like benefits and yearly stock grants). Also, my wife is recovering from a brain tumor this past year and I can't give up the great health plan we have (she had roughly $350,000 in bills this year from surgery and radiation!) I work from home and travel very little so I have a good amount of control over my schedule - too good of a gig to walk away from.

As a side note, what I learned in the insurance business allowed me to put some very good own occupation DI insurance on her and premium waiver on her life insurance with increase options. This last year she went on claim and I was actually able to increase her benefits with no underwriting and all premiums have been waived. She is doing better now, but the recovery is taking a while.

I have some expensive habits and would like the extra coin to buy some good trips for her and a few new Rolex watches for my collection (we all have our weak spots :) I also have a 19 year old daughter in college right now that decided a few months in Europe would be fun :)

AND I know - there be gold up there in 'dem hills! :D

Primarily because I make more as a Service Manager for a large IT firm (when I factor in things like benefits and yearly stock grants). Also, my wife is recovering from a brain tumor this past year and I can't give up the great health plan we have (she had roughly $350,000 in bills this year from surgery and radiation!) I work from home and travel very little so I have a good amount of control over my schedule - too good of a gig to walk away from.

As a side note, what I learned in the insurance business allowed me to put some very good own occupation DI insurance on her and premium waiver on her life insurance with increase options. This last year she went on claim and I was actually able to increase her benefits with no underwriting and all premiums have been waived. She is doing better now, but the recovery is taking a while.

I have some expensive habits and would like the extra coin to buy some good trips for her and a few new Rolex watches for my collection (we all have our weak spots :) I also have a 19 year old daughter in college right now that decided a few months in Europe would be fun :)

AND I know - there be gold up there in 'dem hills! :D

Makes a lot of sense! I would have done the same thing if I were you. Glad your wife had the proper coverage to help get better. Hope she is recovering 100%!

I know college kids can be expensive. Kudos to you!

By the way, so said you're in Dallas. If I may point you in the right direction...SpurCity on this site is in TX although not sure where exactly. Also, my IMOs headquarters (Equita Final Expense Services) is in Dallas area. I know you are already great at sales but having local training & support will give you an edge.

Hello all,

Firstly, I am thankful for a forum like this as a great resource for someone like me who is new to the FE business!

Secondly, being familiar with traditional life and DI, FE is an entirely new beast to me! I am respectfully requesting some advice on the following from you salty dogs :)

I will be in-production part time as I have a full time job M-F I don't want to give up (just yet anyway ;) )

1) Phoning leads versus door knocking and expected conversion rate for each: I will only be working weekends, but I could call for appointments during the week if necessary. Any advice as to what is statistically more successful on converting leads to sales?

2) What to wear: I know this is a lower income target market. I despise neckties with a passion! What are most of you guys wearing in the field? Can I get away with a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt? Would dress slacks & shoes be better? Does it even matter?

3) Working on Sunday: I will definitely be putting in some Saturday time, but what about Sunday? Any of you heavy hitters having luck on Sundays? Any drawbacks?

4) Being armed: No, I am not trying to start a mess here so please don't turn this into a gun debate. I live in TX and take my 2nd amendment rights seriously within the limits of the law. Have any of you had any safety issues that make concealed carry worth considering? In the interest of your privacy, please do not tell me if you do/don't...I am merely asking for input as to whether some people feel it is advisable or if many have had issues with feeling safe.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I look forward to contributing as an active member.

Kudos for your work ethic, that's great! But if you can only work Saturday and Sundays and maybe some evenings, have you ever thought about getting into real estate instead? I'll prob take some heat for that question since this is the FE forum, but I've made lots of money doing both and with the limitations of the hours you can work, real estate could serve you well.

Back