New MS Clients that May Never be Able to Switch Plans Again

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
How do you handle new Med Supp clients in advance you know may never be able to switch plans again due to health conditions or prescription drug history (in most states)?

I always tell them I will shop their rates every year and will try to move them, if t makes sense. But I also let them know there are height/weight charts, can't move if they have any pending tests, surgeries, etc. Also every carrier looks back differently on cancer, stroke, heart attacks, etc.

But what if a client has something like Multiple Sclerosis? And recently I had an appointment (who I didn't sell to, as she had bought from another agent the day before) who will be taking opiods for the rest of her life.

How do you handle new Med Supp clients in advance you know may never be able to switch plans again due to health conditions or prescription drug history (in most states)?

I always tell them I will shop their rates every year and will try to move them, if t makes sense. But I also let them know there are height/weight charts, can't move if they have any pending tests, surgeries, etc. Also every carrier looks back differently on cancer, stroke, heart attacks, etc.

But what if a client has something like Multiple Sclerosis? And recently I had an appointment (who I didn't sell to, as she had bought from another agent the day before) who will be taking opiods for the rest of her life.
I think you're already doing it right. Their bad health isn't your fault and if you can't move them, nobody else can.

I just tell them that chances are, they probably won't be able to move unless something changes, and I mention that I'm in the same boat and can't change. Then I tell them that I'll keep my eyes open in the future in case I find a company that'll take their condition. :yes:

I have quite a few folks like that, including a few that had organ transplants before age 65. I put them in a G plan with a carrier that has a long term history in the market. They know going in they will never change carriers.

So far no complaints.

a couple of years ago, kgmom made a post that went pretty much straight to that issue. I can't find it, but I think this one has the gist of what she said.

Basically, give them the medicare education talk.
Tell them about the rate change dance.
Remind them they are doing this for the rest of their life.
Give them a BCBS quote.
Give them a current "low rate" carrier quote.
Let them choose.

(post 27)
https://insurance-forums.com/commun...-of-omaha-med-supps.95706/page-3#post-1269609

(and note that somarco has made posts in the last 6-12 months indicating even his "more stable rate" choice carriers have started raising rates or changing names again.)

I emphasize all the more to purchase the right plan now

I have many clients like this, Some had stable rates and some went up a lot, Even the ones that went up a lot are grateful for the coverage

I do the best I can but any carrier can have big rate increases

I have quite a few folks like that, including a few that had organ transplants before age 65. I put them in a G plan with a carrier that has a long term history in the market. They know going in they will never change carriers.

So far no complaints.
Organ Transplant: Companion Life(If over 10 years since had or been advised to have ok), New Era(If over 5 years, stable and no trouble with immunosuppressant drugs)

Other than try to use a company with a long history in the biz over a newer one that jumped in. But rates will still go up eventually. Don’t put them in a plan that accepts GI biz unless you have to (Like agents did with Plan F). And if you have a carrier that accepts a lot more health conditions than average I wouldn’t use that one. The tightest underwriting going in is going to have the most stable rates in the next 10 years. That’s just common sense.

Other than that, it’s pick one and go with it.

Last edited:
They will always be able to lower their rate at least once by using the 12 month MA trial period. Have done it with many people who were stuck on a high priced Med Sup that has a block of business that has been closed for years.

OK, I'm struggling with a referral right now in PA.

Lady will be 73 next month. She has Plan F, which has gotten expensive. I'd like to move to her to G, if at al possible. Her Humalog is covered under Part B, so she'd have to meet the deductible first.

Type 1 diabetic, with an insulin pump and uses 75-80 units of Humalog daily. Also takes Trulicity, which is confusing as I keep seeing the commercials. It's for Type 2 diabetics.

Is there ANYONE besides Everest who may take her, just in case they don't? Height/weight are OK, according to their diabetic chart.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news when someone is T65. "These plans provide the most comprehensive coverage and are affordable now. But in a few years, they may not be and I probably can't move you."

I'd like to start offering more high-deductible plans, but I don't seem to run into many people with HSA money. This wouldn't be good for someone who needs their insulin covered under Part B without it.

Back