New or experienced???

JChung

I've new to the insurance industry and passed the P&C exam today! I've been offered a position at a new agency that will be launching in the new year. It's also the owner's first agency, as he is new to the industry himself. On the other hand, I've seen on job postings from agents that owned their own agencies and have been in the insurance industry for 20 years +.
Would it be better to get started asap or hold out and hope that I'll get hired by an agent with years of experience, which might be in a couple months. Thanks!

Would it be better to get started asap or hold out and hope that I'll get hired by an agent with years of experience, which might be in a couple months. Thanks!

I'll answer your question with a question.

Have most of your good decisions in life come from making the "right now" decision, or by making the "right" decision?

I've new to the insurance industry and passed the P&C exam today! I've been offered a position at a new agency that will be launching in the new year. It's also the owner's first agency, as he is new to the industry himself. On the other hand, I've seen on job postings from agents that owned their own agencies and have been in the insurance industry for 20 years +.
I'm 24 years old and I'm about 15 months into my insurance career. I've worked for multiple agencies in that short time, I've done the whole hopping between agencies to find the right fit so I've learned a lot about that process of what's right for you.

Be willing to work hard, be objective with yourself. It's a lot of criticism being thrown at you and sometimes you'll have to figure out who's really got your best interest in mind. There is no one way to do something, so definitely take a taste of everything you can when learning sales in P&C. I exceeded my goals at my previous agency by a long shot and I'm not even a month in and I've surpassed my goals at my new agency already along with a headstart on the next month with already bound business, both personal and commercial. But that would not have happened without the training at my previous agency.

Do research. Ask around. Find a mentor in your agency as well as outside of your agency. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Network. Learn to network. Do what scares you. But it's a great field to be in and now I'm relatively known and get recruiting calls and networking calls from people who find me all the time now because of my social media ads and my marketing at public events. Use your excitement of this new field to your advantage.

Latest posts

Back