New Producer Questions

Tyler Cerwinski

I am a 22-year old producer just starting out in the industry these last two months. Obviously I am much younger than the typical producer, which some may say is a disadvantage, but I feel is an advantage. The majority of my time is spent cold calling in the morning, then trying to build up some connections on LinkedIn in the afternoons, and building up my call list.I was hoping to learn a little more about what worked in terms of your prospecting, and what didn't. We specialize in construction so most of the time the decision maker is in the office once or twice a week and have very little "time" to talk on the phone.

What are some things to mention when I talk with the decision maker over the phone that led to an appointment?

Any tips on social media to help build up my brand / image?

Any advice would be great as I am trying to learn as much as I can. I have been reading books, articles, podcasts, you name it. Thank you!

I am a 22-year old producer just starting out in the industry these last two months. Obviously I am much younger than the typical producer, which some may say is a disadvantage, but I feel is an advantage. The majority of my time is spent cold calling in the morning, then trying to build up some connections on LinkedIn in the afternoons, and building up my call list.I was hoping to learn a little more about what worked in terms of your prospecting, and what didn't. We specialize in construction so most of the time the decision maker is in the office once or twice a week and have very little "time" to talk on the phone.

What are some things to mention when I talk with the decision maker over the phone that led to an appointment?

Any tips on social media to help build up my brand / image?

Any advice would be great as I am trying to learn as much as I can. I have been reading books, articles, podcasts, you name it. Thank you!

Age doesn't matter. I agree with the other guy.

Trust me on this...

Get a library card.
Go to your library online
Look up their online resources
Most libraries have access to a tool called reference usa... go there.

Choose US BUSINESS'

Do an advanced search. SIC code, business size, owners name, credit... all at your fingertips.

Sell something, go back to this reference and then choose every one in your area doing the same thing and sell that niche til you run out of them.

Repeat

Be tenacious and structured and you'll kill it!

Trust me on this...

Get a library card.
Go to your library online
Look up their online resources
Most libraries have access to a tool called reference usa... go there.

Choose US BUSINESS'

Do an advanced search. SIC code, business size, owners name, credit... all at your fingertips.

Sell something, go back to this reference and then choose every one in your area doing the same thing and sell that niche til you run out of them.

Repeat

Be tenacious and structured and you'll kill it!

Been building up my lists in Hoovers at the moment. I will look into Reference USA though! Thank you for the tip I appreciate it!

I would make sure to supplement the construction business you are writing with personal lines. Make sure to get connected with some realtors and if your agent will allow it, go talk to the captive insurance agencies and help them with the business they can’t write. They will appreciate it and it’s done good commission. They also will refer commercial business.

Go to the places in person if possible. Don’t introduce yourself as “I’m the guy who works for this other guy”. Say something more on the lines of “I write insurance for your niche, when’s the last time you looked everything over with your agent?

Your goal is 2 fold. 1. Find out when the heck they will let you quote it and 2. What their relationship is with their agent.

Be careful writing commercial this early because of how complicating it can be. However, get the opportunity to quote the business and figure out how to do it next if you don’t know how to yet. It will be really helpful for you late on.

You can do it!

People love helping the young buck - everyone was there once but you have to have the knowledge to back it up.

If your calling contractors call super early in the morning and or late afternoon. Find out what line is the pain point. If you write the expensive part you normally get the other pieces as well.

Get familiar with the supplemental applications. Know what questions to ask depending on what type of contractor it is. Subsribe to construction/trade newsletters. Most agents that focus on writing construction are super into the industry. They go to the conventions etc...

Does linkedin work for you? I would think more calls would produce better results but thats just me.

People love helping the young buck - everyone was there once but you have to have the knowledge to back it up.

I like the succinct way in which you expressed that. I'm in the process of doing exactly that, and looking for exactly that, with/in a young man half my age. It will turn out to have been either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Don't know which yet.

If your calling contractors call super early in the morning and or late afternoon. Find out what line is the pain point. If you write the expensive part you normally get the other pieces as well.

Get familiar with the supplemental applications. Know what questions to ask depending on what type of contractor it is. Subsribe to construction/trade newsletters. Most agents that focus on writing construction are super into the industry. They go to the conventions etc...

Does linkedin work for you? I would think more calls would produce better results but thats just me.

I by no means am relying or counting on LinkedIn to land me anything. Cold calls will be the #1 method always, but getting my name out to a prospect in as many different mediums is the end goal. Thanks for the tip!

Back