New to Individual Health Insurance and need info on Phoenix market

trvlnut

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hi all:
I have just starting selling individual here in Phoenix. I have one group that I work with so I am familiar with group health insurance here, but I hope someone can answer a few questions about individual.

1. What carriers do you sell most? Why?

2. Do you concentrate on a particular niche (like self-employed)?

3. Do you sell under 65 and medicare?

4. How do you quote? email, phone, etc?

5. Do you do on-line aps or paper? If on-line, do you meet with prospect and take your computer to fill out ap?

6. Anyone use Black Gould and if so, do you own your book of business or do they own it?

Thanks,
Nesha

Nesha,
Just did a quick rate check on high deductible HSAs in your area and Golden Rule (United Healthcare), Humana and Aetna look competitive so far.

HealthNet and a local Arizona plan were on EHealthInsurance as well.

Assurant's rates didn't seem quite as competitive but not terrible either. I'm in Connecticut so take what I say with a grain of salt. Not sure if we have an AZ expert on the board.

I know I've seen a few. One is SME or Steph. Hope you don't mind me callin' ya out. ;) There are others, but don't remember who they are.

I'm from Phoenix too. I like Aetna and LifeWise seems to have pretty competitive rates too. I'm pretty new to the whole scene too, so I'm always open to new advice.

Assurant, GR and World have the best PPO plans.... Followed by Aetna, BCBS, Humana and AMS.

Last edited:
I'm from Phoenix too. I like Aetna and LifeWise seems to have pretty competitive rates too. I'm pretty new to the whole scene too, so I'm always open to new advice.

I like Aetna they don't have a waiting period if you have prior Credible Coverage for at least 12 months. GR has no waiting period as long as all pre-ex is listed on the app. This is really big I think.

Lifewise doesn't have guaranteed rates so I haven't quoted them as yet. Their rates are great, but I wonder what will happen down the road.

Sorry, I have been busy and haven't had a chance to post lately.

1. What carriers do you sell most? Why?

In Phoenix we sell alot of Health Net, and Aetna. Aetna has flexible underwriting while Health Net is pretty tight. Health Net also takes forever to underwrite. BCBS is good if you have a healthy person but the commissions for them and Health Net are lower. Assurant is good in the Tucson area but not very competitive in the Valley. If you are looking at HSA's then GR rules the roost, no one can touch them on rates and benefits. Outside of HSAs GR isn't very competitive. I would also recommend that you avoid Cigna. They are the last true HMO left and are a pain in the rear.

2. Do you concentrate on a particular niche (like self-employed)?
We work from Internet leads, but do not have a niche market.

3. Do you sell under 65 and medicare?
We sell primarily under 65 but have a medicare person coming on board later this month for the Med Supp market.

4. How do you quote? email, phone, etc?
We quote over the phone and by e-mail. I do not like to mail anything. It'll never get read. But like anything else this is personal preference and sales technique.

5. Do you do on-line aps or paper? If on-line, do you meet with prospect and take your computer to fill out ap? I e-mail or fax paper apps and take most apps online over the phone. Of all my clients I have only met with 3. Our goal is to be a phone/internet based agency. Not your typical bricks and mortar kind of place.

6. Anyone use Black Gould and if so, do you own your book of business or do they own it?

Black Gould is a great GA for everything but Assurant, Golden Rule and World. We use Agent's Marketing Center for those. With Black Gould you own the business but have access to thier amazing training, and great staff. They even have a free rater and tracking software. Which is handy. Also the staff is great to work with. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. Or if you are in the Mesa area you are welcome to drop by the office. 4455 E Broadway #101.

Wow! Thanks Steph. That's exactly what I was looking for. Very much appreciated.

Couple of follow-up questions.
1. When you take apps on-line over the phone, how do you do that? Do you use something like Vyew where the client can see your screen? I went to the broker training for BCBS and they specifically told us not to fill out the app for the client. I take it that's not what you do.

2. I have noticed after running a few quotes through Black Gould that Lifewise seems fairly competitive. Do you write them? If so, how do you explain the why they don't guarantee their rates for 12 months?

I have a client down that way. I am in north Phoenix. Next time I'm down, I'll stop and say "Hi."

Back