New to insurance

Newagent19

I am currently working towards getting my P&C license here in Louisiana. Currently I have a job that I am miserable at, no where to move up, and I am away from home for half of the year. I am looking for a CAREER. I have a couple of mentors right now, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions on here first.

Around my area State Farm agents are always hiring. Would this be a good way to start out? I have been told it is.

They say they offer a base salary around $30,000. Is this realistic?

Also, what can I honestly expect to make in my first year?

I definitely plan on staying in insurance for the long haul. Any advice is helpful. Thank you very much.

Thank you. I appreciate the reply! That is what I have heard that State Farm is the best to start off with. What do you think is a realistic salary expectations starting out?

It's been awhile since I've worked for someone else, plus I'm guessing salaries are much different in that area than where I am, so I've no idea. While you obviously need to make enough to support yourself, the idea is that you use this time to learn in the business, so training and education is key.

They say they offer a base salary around $30,000. Is this realistic
This is what you can expect to make in your first year. If you have quotas to meet for number of policies, total premium, number of applications anything above your base is a welcome surprise so treat yourself to a night out on the bonus as you learn the business. if it is a busy office and you meet your goals you might earn another 5-10K on top of your base

Thank you for the insight. I was not sure, but I just wanted to get different views for other people. I appreciate your comment.

I agree, State Farm is a great starting point. I also got my start with 2 different State Farm agents. I believe that $30k is about average (even in Hawaii where the cost of living is insane). The good thing about State Farm is their training. The agent along with their managers try to teach you the ins and outs of basic personal insurance and the importance to your clients.

I would suggest looking for a long-time agent (10+ years) as they will be more open to training you than forcing you to sell. The younger agents will push sales (especially life insurance). Personally, I think learning the products and becoming an expert is more important than becoming an expert sales person; however, in the long run, you need to learn the sales skills too. Once you can show that you can sell, you can then become a State Farm agent too (if that's your desire), go the independent route, or work for a carrier. Having State Farm on your resume will open doors for you. I love hiring former State Farm employees.

Good luck in your future Newagent!

I really appreciate your reply and insight on this topic. It sure makes me feel even better hearing things like this. Thank you again!

I really appreciate your reply and insight on this topic. It sure makes me feel even better hearing things like this. Thank you again!

Stay in touch, and let us know how and where it goes for you. Many of us have put in the work, and done well. I think I speak for most of us on here when I say we enjoy watching the newbies put in the work and make it happen, and we are able to give some pointers and help them (you) along.

Back