New to Insurance

Elizabeth26

Hey all! I’m looking for advice.

I have worked the same job for 7 years, it’s retail, and I have worked my way up from the bottom. I am looking for a change and I’m currently studying for my life and health insurance license.

Here’s what I need to know...

If I get in with a company that offers a base pay will I make at lease $750 a week? (With persistence of course)

Is there somewhere I can get tips and tricks to pick up selling insurance faster?

What’s the best company to get in with if I do need the base pay?

What’s the hardest part starting out?

What’s something you wish someone would’ve told you before started?

My current job is only the 2nd job I’ve had and I’m terrified to make a career change but I need more money in my life, even if it’s rough in the beginning. Any advice will be appreciated!! Thanks!!

If you have developed a reasonable amount of personal skills via the retail world you might have the gift of gab needed to succeed. Your questions are good but challenging to answer with certainty. You need to research a lot before you commit to this industry. Most income generated by this profession is commission driven but some captive companies do provide a salary plus commission that is ongoing. Captives are not looked at favorably by those who have been both independent and captive but they do have a good reputation for training and competitiveness most of the time. Liberty Mutual comes to mind as a salary plus commission company for PC personal lines. They have improved their agent program over the past decade and do not fire their agents as much as they did 20 years ago.

My recommendation would be to continue researching and wait for a few more comments like mine to give you some direction. I personally recommend independent over captive but you will have to be patient and a hard worker for the money to flow any at all. This is not a get rich quick business. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance. If you can get past the probationary period you will be much happier than in retail I think. Good Luck.

By the way Liberty Mutual is Property and Casualty. A lot of my comments were oriented more around P/C. Sorry for the potential confusion.

Last edited:

I have worked the same job for 7 years, it’s retail, and I have worked my way up from the bottom. I am looking for a change and I’m currently studying for my life and health insurance license.

If I get in with a company that offers a base pay will I make at lease $750 a week? (With persistence of course)

Is there somewhere I can get tips and tricks to pick up selling insurance faster?

My current job is only the 2nd job I’ve had and I’m terrified to make a career change but I need more money in my life, even if it’s rough in the beginning. Any advice will be appreciated!! Thanks!!
Make $750 a week just starting out....I don't think so. Unless your base pay is $750.
Building a book takes time.
A good IMO should help with tips and tricks.
Not sure because those are mostly captive agents.
Hardest part is starting your book from nothing. Once you get momentum...its easier.
For example, you ever try pushing a car from a stop? Once you get the wheels rolling its easier..
I wish someone would've told me to have find a mentor/partner and stick with that person. Learn as much as possible.
I personally started as an FPA Intern with Pru and that was eye opening.
I was one of the few people in there with a guaranteed pay check. (A nice one). And, I experienced first hand seeing agents with families struggle. Get fired. Complain to me.
It was great experience that taught me a bunch in the industry. It felt like I was gently placed into the insurance world. Not left to my own devices. That being said. I observed and watched some great agents who made a killing. I was in charge of expense reports and was able to see who made what.
There is money to be made, but it's not easy.

Right now, your mindset will work completely against you because you're looking for a JOB. Strangely enough, insurance and financial services is a BUSINESS and it takes a BUSINESS DECISION and mindset in order to have a shot at success.

Also, you're only focusing on how much you can make. However, as stated above, there is no base salary.

Dave Duford (Rearden on the forum) created his own video on 5 ways to find the BEST insurance agency to work for. He makes excellent points that it's YOUR job first, to figure out what market you want to be in, and THEN find the right organization. And that it's YOUR job to INTERVIEW THEM to make sure they are a good fit for you.

And for reference, this is my video take on similar subject matter. I outline my own ideas of various markets and profiles of people to work with and where I think you can earn the most money.

Back