New to Med Sup

If you know of something that is allowing people to go against what their managing broker from the carrier says then please share.
I know of two things: The Medicare Marketing Guidelines and the carrier certification material. I abide by those and ignore everything any carrier rep tells me that isn't supported by those. You will find nothing requiring F2F in either for any carrier. Carrier reps seem incapable of saying "I don't know" so they make up an answer, almost always the most restrictive. Not a good guide to run your business by.

Thanks! That makes sense! ---------- I'm appointed in 49 states.. would be cool to start writing MA's, as well as Sup's.
You have people calling you from other states?

Keep in mind no F2F requirement does not mean phone sales for MA plans where you initiate the call are allowed. They are not by any carrier per CMS.

Last Thursday I met with Aetna and was told I had to use their software in order to get paid... The program is pretty much automated and records your presentation. Are you using aetnamedicare.com? or paper apps?

----------

You have people calling you from other states?

Fellow brokers who are asking to write family and friends in NY.

Also, I've been deadlocked when I cc leads, only to learn that they're advantage.. If I'm offering real services and develop the relationship going back for an advantage sale should be kosher, right?

Last Thursday I met with Aetna and was told I had to use their software in order to get paid... The program is pretty much automated and records your presentation. Are you using aetnamedicare.com? or paper apps? ---------- Fellow brokers who are asking to write family and friends in NY. Also, I've been deadlocked when I cc leads, only to learn that they're advantage.. If I'm offering real services and develop the relationship going back for an advantage sale should be kosher, right?
I have never cold call anyone so I'm not up to speed on what workarounds one might use to compliantly enroll people in an MA plan by initiating the call to them.

Thanks! That makes sense!

----------

I'm appointed in 49 states.. would be cool to start writing MA's, as well as Sup's.

We have agents that sell exclusively over the phone in 40+ states. UHC, Aetna/coventry and Humana. They have to mail the apps out, but it is being done.

Maybe you should sign up for Greensky's association. Then you can offer advice with authority.

Having some tact, would benefit.

I've avoided posting any questions or making any comments because I see how people like you treat others. No I'm not an expert. But I do sell Medicare supplements by cold calling. That gives me some credibility. Thank you so much for your support!

I have 10 years experience with both MA and Medicare Supplements so I can explain this easy to you guys and girls. MA is governed by the Federal government (CMS) and Supps are governed by the individual States. Only the Federal government puts this AEP and restriction guidelines on Federally funded products (Medicare Advantage and Part D). Med Supps are managed by the States with no tax funding and the Feds step away. The Federal government prohibits cold calling for a contacted method to generate leads for all Part C and Part D products. Where you guys are getting confused is when the client contacts YOU. It is 100% a ok for a client to contact YOU to buy a MA product but you can NEVER contact THEM initially for a lead. This will get you suspended and say good bye to all your MA and Part D commissions. There is a gray area to a degree with this as technically you can telemarket for your services and set up an appointment F2F and eventually pitch MA and Part D to you client, but you must get the Scope Form signed and return 48 hours later. You cannot generate MA sales over the phone at all. That is a big No No. Unless you intend to do direct F2F selling, don't sell MA nor PDP plans ever over the phone (unless the client makes the initial contact with you first). This is the real reason why Chris Westfall bashes MA plans unfairly, he doesn't want to deal with the regulations and get his license suspended by CMS.

Chris has a great web site that can be very detail specific about Tele-sales for Med Sups. A few things to think about- Outsource the calling, don't waste your valuable time attempting to generate leads. Spend your time on the phone making presentations and closing deals. Your closing ratio will be lower than face to face when making presentations. This means you will need more a lot more leads! Exclusive Internet leads can work well but cost a lot per lead which can eat into your ROI. I know agents who are exclusively using TM leads for Med Sups that are less than $10 a lead who see an ROI of 2X - 3X

An ROI of 2-3x? That's terrible. How can a person make any money if they aren't averaging over 4-6x

Back