New to Medicare and could use some pointers!

Andrew goldberg

Hello all, my name is Andrew and I’ve been a lurker for a while on the forums. I’m licensed in 47 states for life health and variable annuities. I’ve been doing health insurance for the past 8 years and now after the ACA open enrollment I have decided it’s time to make the switch to Medicare Supplements.

I am working under a great organization that provides the leads as cold calls and this is where I am really struggling.(waiting for my mailers to come back in) in my office there are about 40 other agents and some are extremely successful cold calling and submit more than 10 apps a week. This is only my second week and I’ve submitted one application. I know once I have the mailers it will be easier and that is where everyone seems to make the most money.

In the mean time what advice would you guys offer? I can’t seem to get past hello with any of these people I’m calling and it’s frustrating to no end!

I have been saying the following..

Hello John smith? My name is so and so calling about your upcoming enrollment into Medicare. The records show your going to be aging into Medicare in July, is that correct?

And that’s about as far as the call gets. I’m new to Medicare and don’t expect to get it right away but at the same time I hear people all around me on the same cold call leads saying the same or similar things having good success. I was hoping for some advice or maybe insight into a different way I can approach these people. I’ve done some digging around on the forums but can’t quite find the niche I’m looking for. Any advice helps!!

Andrew

Leads are now a cold calling list? Haha! They have you sold. And I’m pretty confident there are not other agents in your Office selling 10 apps a week cold calling. It’s not happening. They may be fudging their numbers.

Don’t go by them. Get your real leads in, work them and don’t worry about their numbers. It’s why I’ll never work in an office again. Too much lying and over the shoulder looking. Plus they take a lot of your commission to give you “leads”. Which aren’t leads at all.

Just an FYI when I did cold call t65’s I would sell half the people I would see. I would get 1 appt set out of 10 people I could talk to. To get to talk to 10 people it took about 100 calls.
And I felt I was pretty good at it. Several Years ago.
Work that backwards to understand how the guys in your Office aren’t getting 10 cold call T65 sales a week. Assuming F2F

10 a week is possible, but you would have to just killing it on the phone and most likely you're only doing over the phone sales (which is MUCH harder in my opinion) to cut down on time lost driving.

More than likely they average 3 a week except for that one time they got 10 so they average "10 a week". By the way, 10 a week if you're getting the bulk of the commission and the renewals, and assuming 90% persistency is $700,000 a year after 6 years. Do you really think your office mates are making 3/4 of a million a year?

Hello John smith? My name is so and so calling about your upcoming enrollment into Medicare. The records show your going to be aging into Medicare in July, is that correct?

Frankly, I am surprised anyone get's that far in the call before hearing a dial tone.

On a cold call you have 3 - 5 seconds to catch their attention. This is especially true with folks aging in to Medicare. They are inundated with calls.

What could you say in 5 seconds to grab their attention and possibly start a conversation?

Do you have renewal income from the last 8 years? I would presume you do. If so, you don't need to be cold calling from a boiler room, making money for someone else.

Leads are now a cold calling list? Haha! They have you sold. And I’m pretty confident there are not other agents in your Office selling 10 apps a week cold calling. It’s not happening. They may be fudging their numbers.

Don’t go by them. Get your real leads in, work them and don’t worry about their numbers. It’s why I’ll never work in an office again. Too much lying and over the shoulder looking. Plus they take a lot of your commission to give you “leads”. Which aren’t leads at all.

Just an FYI when I did cold call t65’s I would sell half the people I would see. I would get 1 appt set out of 10 people I could talk to. To get to talk to 10 people it took about 100 calls.
And I felt I was pretty good at it. Several Years ago.
Work that backwards to understand how the guys in your Office aren’t getting 10 cold call T65 sales a week. Assuming F2F

I can prove this wrong.

Have several downlines i know working off outbound T65 data. The worst agents do 5-7 a week. Average agents do 10-12. Closers do 15+ a week.

Now yes i agree. REAL LIVE CALLS are the best conversion ratio and eventually just time/money wise becomes the issue. To where the time wasted on outbound you stick a couple screeners/fronters on that data to keep your CPA costs down. While buying live transfers for the Closers and overflow to Average agents.

edit: I'm speaking strictly from Call Center perspective not belly to belly.

I can prove this wrong.

Have several downlines i know working off outbound T65 data. The worst agents do 5-7 a week. Average agents do 10-12. Closers do 15+ a week.

Now yes i agree. REAL LIVE CALLS are the best conversion ratio and eventually just time/money wise becomes the issue. To where the time wasted on outbound you stick a couple screeners/fronters on that data to keep your CPA costs down. While buying live transfers for the Closers and overflow to Average agents.

edit: I'm speaking strictly from Call Center perspective not belly to belly.

You’re telling me that these guys are COLD CALLING T65’s and the worst agent sells 20-28 a month? That’s just hilarious.

But your statement is hard to follow. Is it a call center? Live transfers? You’re all over the place.
To the OP you will not do AT WORST 20-28 t65 cold calls a month. You need actually leads to do that.

You’re telling me that these guys are COLD CALLING T65’s and the worst agent sells 20-28 a month? That’s just hilarious.

But your statement is hard to follow. Is it a call center? Live transfers? You’re all over the place.
To the OP you will not do AT WORST 20-28 t65 cold calls a month. You need actually leads to do that.

Yeah I mean those numbers aren't impossible but I find it very hard to believe. That means their worst agent is making $400K a year after 6 years.

I would only really believe those numbers for leads or an actual insurance company's call center like UHC or Mutual of Omaha

Maybe you just need a different lead source. Not everyone can cold call sucessfully. I damn sure can't.

And there is no way they are cold calling, closing 1 a day. Not happening.

AP9-12.PNG

Edit: here's our AP from Sept 2017 to Dec 2017. This is only for Cigna.

Stated it's Call center. None of this was done with 'ACTUAL' Leads. just cheap T65 Data.

Our 'ACTUAL' Leads only room does ~3-5x what this room does.
9d1cb1d2c75affe192bf444d23e0fb2f

Back