New to Medicare

Buffalo28

Hello there everyone! I have 3 years experience in life and supplemental insurance. Have recently moved into the Medicare Advantage/Medsupp market. This is my first AEP and I'm really struggling. I knew it was a slow year in my market but I didn't think it would be this slow! Any advice? Thanks!

Hello there everyone! I have 3 years experience in life and supplemental insurance. Have recently moved into the Medicare Advantage/Medsupp market. This is my first AEP and I'm really struggling. I knew it was a slow year in my market but I didn't think it would be this slow! Any advice? Thanks!

How did you market this AEP?

Hi there. I suppose we didn't do much marketing, it was mostly some old company provided leads as well as a kiosk in a local pharmacy, and occasionally other events that my boss has run. They're trying to get us to focus on dual plans now because they are expanding in my area and everything else has been very slow. Thanks!

Hi there. I suppose we didn't do much marketing, it was mostly some old company provided leads as well as a kiosk in a local pharmacy, and occasionally other events that my boss has run. They're trying to get us to focus on dual plans now because they are expanding in my area and everything else has been very slow. Thanks!

Some people like duals. I personally can’t stand them.
My aep’s are busy from working my existing clients, referrals and this year I do a seminar for Wellcare once a week.
Kiosk usually don’t bring much biz imo and leads can be good if they are hitting the mail often and lots of boxes. .
But this is all for FL, I don’t know how your area is but I’d assume your AEP will get better as the years go on. Your phone won’t ring if you don’t have many clients.

yeah I am in upstate NY. Do you feel as though medicare is something you can do year round when you are new and don't really have a big book of business? Because I feel I will probably have to get a second job..

yeah I am in upstate NY. Do you feel as though medicare is something you can do year round when you are new and don't really have a big book of business? Because I feel I will probably have to get a second job..

I do it year round. I work t65 direct mail leads and with my renewals I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. You just need to find your niche

Yes, you can do it year round, but until you have a client base, you won’t earn a lot.

I personally worked a second sales job - with higher up-from commissions, but no recurring revenue, while building my base.

Once you have a client base and are earning six-figures, you won’t have to work as much (unless you do so by choice).

This AEP has been crazy for me, way busier than last year, but the reason is mainly because of trying to keep up with the people calling in for reviews... and the referral calls... it’s a good busy.

Thanks for the info. And can I ask why you don't like duals? I've heard they can be problematic because there are more chargebacks, as well as sometimes the clients will expect a lot from the agent {like calling their doctors for them, etc.}

Thanks for the info. And can I ask why you don't like duals? I've heard they can be problematic because there are more chargebacks, as well as sometimes the clients will expect a lot from the agent {like calling their doctors for them, etc.}

Make sure you quote people here because we don’t know who you’re talking to and we won’t see it.
I personally don’t care for duals because in my opinion they change plans on a whim and usually don’t know what they really have.

Just 2 months ago I signed a lady up with a uhc ppo full dual plan because it was the only dual plan that had her doctor. I told her I could get her more benefits but she would lose her Dr. with any other company.

Her husband has called 3 times complaining because some of her meds are costing just over $1. Really? I explained that uhc doesn’t determine her drug cost, but her LIS does.

They called again and felt like I wasn’t doing my job and they were being screwed over. I found them a plan where all t1 and t2 meds were $0 but she would lose her Dr. They decided to complain more and it reminded me why I hate duals. Not worth my time.

Back