New to Medsupp. Question

Rheagan24

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm new to Medsupps. Had a client declined yesterday bc he forgot to tell me about one of his HBP Meds.

He is diabetic non insulin but on 2 meds for diabetes. Also on 3 HBP meds. Had a hip replacement in 2014 and no complications with diabetes. Will anyone cover in Louisiana.

He was declined by Cigna. I'm gonna try him with Aetna. Looks like it should be ok with them

Is there a way to get an underwriting guideline for med supp? Contacted Anthem & Blue Shield of Calif and they said no.

Life companies do issue guidelines.

Is there a way to get an underwriting guideline for med supp? Contacted Anthem & Blue Shield of Calif and they said no.

Study the apps and the UW Guides of each company you use, then make your own as many have done. It'll help you to know your companies better and will make you a better "field underwriter. This is also true with FE.

Read post 29 in this thread:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...sue-rights-question-t87268-3.html#post1168281

This is a post, which on the surface appears to have absolutely nothing to do with your question. However, (IMO), it is a specific factual situation which appears to support the general advice which goillini gave you.

What I am learning in regard to Medicare Supplements is that one can start learning the general "minimum" coverage requirements imposed by CMS guidelines. One can also start to learn some general information about how insurance carriers follow these guidelines.

However; until one also learns if the state in which they want to sell the product has some specific legislative or practical market differences from other states and also learns that different carrriers may very well apply rules with greater or lesser degrees of stringency than other companies, one will consistently "be surprised" by what happens while trying to write a policy for a client.

(And NO, I have never sold a Medicare supplement in my life. My observations come from reading Medicare Supplement sales posts in the forum over a period of time.)

Last edited:
I tried to get an underwriting guide for BCBSGA (an Anthem company). Told they don't exist and no plans to make them available. I was also told most "yes" answers will generate a decline.

Back