New to the Business, In Need of Some help

Okay so I will start out with a few details about myself. I am 20 years old, and live in Indiana, right across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. Reason I say that is because its a fairly populated area with many potential prospects. I currently work as an independent agent selling life and health, medicare seems to be our agencies big focus. The reason I am on here today is because I am stuck at a complete stand still and have no idea what direction to go in. Its a busy time of the year with it being AEP so nearly everyone is out of the office. Since everyone has been busy and i just started less then a month a go, I have had little to no guidance, little to know professional training, and no direction. I know, many might say you should get out now, but I can't take that as an answer. My big question is what can a 20 year old that is as serious as I am, do about generating leads and referrals? I want to make this work. I have a thing for sales and helping people, and I know this is my calling. Everyone starts at the bottom, and I see several 6 figure agents in this forum, so there must be some sort of method to all this madness. If anyone could help me get my feet on the ground that would be great. Thank you all!

Okay so I will start out with a few details about myself. I am 20 years old, and live in Indiana, right across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. Reason I say that is because its a fairly populated area with many potential prospects. I currently work as an independent agent selling life and health, medicare seems to be our agencies big focus. The reason I am on here today is because I am stuck at a complete stand still and have no idea what direction to go in. Its a busy time of the year with it being AEP so nearly everyone is out of the office. Since everyone has been busy and i just started less then a month a go, I have had little to no guidance, little to know professional training, and no direction. I know, many might say you should get out now, but I can't take that as an answer. My big question is what can a 20 year old that is as serious as I am, do about generating leads and referrals? I want to make this work. I have a thing for sales and helping people, and I know this is my calling. Everyone starts at the bottom, and I see several 6 figure agents in this forum, so there must be some sort of method to all this madness. If anyone could help me get my feet on the ground that would be great. Thank you all!

I would drive over to Evansville and talk to those FexContracting guys. You are so close and they have launched so many agents the right way.

I'm a little biased but not much.

There's also a guy just south of Indianapolis you can talk to. He answers his phone :-)

If you think that book is a good start, so be it! A $10 dollar investment for some quality and enlightening information is worth it. As far as FexContracting goes....What exactly do they do there? I'm fearless in a manner where if i knew who to talk to that would get me on the right track, I'd go to their office and offer them lunch on me just to hear their story.

This is fast becoming a Hoosier thread which is nice to see.

I'm quite familiar with the Jeffersonville, Clarksville, New Albany and Louisville area. This is a nice area to set up shop as you are right, you have a lot of people to potentially work with. If you haven't already, I'd get your nonresident license for Kentucky so you can work across the river in addition to Indiana. I'm not sure what you want to focus on but life insurance is a good place to begin.

When you are new, everything seems pretty overwhelming. You have to learn what you are selling and find people to sell it to.

At first keep it simple.

If you decide to focus on life insurance, I'd just start out with a good term policy and a good whole life policy. Next learn the underwriting requirements to get those policies issued.

After that, you got to get on the phone and start asking people to meet with you. I use to find or make my own lists of people I either knew or that had something in common - like their neighborhood, small business owners, an employer or an occupation.

Once you have made your lists, start calling these people up and explain to them why you called and you want to meet with them for just a few minutes to go into more detail about how your process works.

Now just calling people up and saying you want to show them what you do doesn't work. You have to give them a solid reason to meet with you in the first place. It could be because you think you can save them money or because you want to make sure they don't have a crappy policy.

You can hold five or six of these initial meetings each day if you make enough calls and they can all be done at work real quick most of time.

The purpose of the first meeting is to set up the second meeting. At the second meeting, you'll meet with them and their spouse if they are married and have them get all of their stuff together. You can typically hold four to six of these meetings per week as not all your initial appointments will move on to step two.

I personally only collected information at the second meeting and set up a third meeting for my recommendations and taking care of the paperwork to get started.

You can easily write two to four applications per week if you do this. But it doesn't work if you don't get on the phone in the first place. Obviously, if you have people you know to begin with that will shorten your sales cycle. Calling cold is a lot of work and it's tough but it's certainly doable. If you aren't meeting with people in person, you need to be on the phone no matter what you are selling.

I know you say you are independent but it appears you are working in an office with others. I was a little confused by that because it seems like someone brought you in and hired you but isn't providing any training.

If you think that book is a good start, so be it! A $10 dollar investment for some quality and enlightening information is worth it. As far as FexContracting goes....What exactly do they do there? I'm fearless in a manner where if i knew who to talk to that would get me on the right track, I'd go to their office and offer them lunch on me just to hear their story.

You need to talk to the guy in Post #3. Ask for Newby when you call.:yes:

I also recommend that book. It's a guide for a new agent A-Z.

No need to buy me lunch. Give me a call next week and we can set a time to meet at my office and I'll show you exactly what we do. It doesn't involve making list of your friends or cold calling like the guy a few posts down is talking about.

Read the info on our website first. It will tell you a lot about us. — Your inside track to selling more, making more and working smarter The phone number is on the website.

I would avoid any recruiters on this forum. Search out 360 financial. they are just to the west of you and have several agents near you. They are honest and ethical. And most importantly they dont sit on forums recruiting. They are busy helping agents

I would avoid any recruiters on this forum. Search out 360 financial. they are just to the west of you and have several agents near you. They are honest and ethical. And most importantly they dont sit on forums recruiting. They are busy helping agents

Well if it isn't 360's sneakiest recruiter, Matt Schmidt. I'd say 360 puts as much forum time in as anyone. Lately their managers at war have dominated pretty much every thread. And the 360 shills like you do the recruiting. And your boss spends plenty of time reading and lurking. Just doesn't take the time to actually participate since that hasn't always gone too well for him in the past.

360 isn't terrible if you get under someone that can actually help you like Ben or Mungia. Get shielded from the snakepit and negativity like the Matt Schmidt's of the organization.

Latest posts

Back