New to the Insurance Business

Hello!

I am brand new to the insurance business. As a matter of fact, not even licensed yet. I have done as much research as possible and just joined these forums hoping to learn a lot more. I am from Ohio and my background is very wide. From car sales to retail management, laborer, and business owner of a tanning salon.

Here is my question and hope to get some honest answers. I am sure this question is asked a lot here so I do apologize. I do plan on getting both my licenses, P&C, Life and health....But what do you feel in today's market the best one would be to start with? I myself am pushing more towards the P&C side but input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and look forward to gaining lots of knowledge from the forums.

But what do you feel in today's market the best one would be to start with?

That's like asking what's best:

Glock or 1911?

Ginger or Mary Anne?

Ford or Chevy?

It's in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of what you choose it's going to be hard work, take you years to be successful at it, and there will be times along the way that you'll wish you hadn't.

:yes:

Hello!

I am brand new to the insurance business. As a matter of fact, not even licensed yet. I have done as much research as possible and just joined these forums hoping to learn a lot more. I am from Ohio and my background is very wide. From car sales to retail management, laborer, and business owner of a tanning salon.

Here is my question and hope to get some honest answers. I am sure this question is asked a lot here so I do apologize. I do plan on getting both my licenses, P&C, Life and health....But what do you feel in today's market the best one would be to start with? I myself am pushing more towards the P&C side but input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and look forward to gaining lots of knowledge from the forums.

Welcome to the forum - I'm in Ohio as well (CBus).

I can't answer "what is the best to start with" as I only know my own experience. It took me a while to figure out what my "target" market would be long term.

You've already worked in several different areas - car sales, etc. - so you may be able to adapt quickly?

From what I've heard (no experience here), getting into P&C is best done under an existing agency. That may be a great way to start.

For life/health, you don't need to work for anyone else - just get licensed, find some prospects - start uncovering needs and match those needs with the appropriate products. You'll make tons of mistakes along the way but you'll learn quickly (hopefully).

You may want to avoid starting in the Medicare market for now as the busy time starts on 10/1 - unless you can fly through certifications, etc., you'll miss the most prosperous time of the year. While you can sell from Jan thru Sept - it's not nearly as fast and furious - especially for new people.

What non standard carriers are good to start with? I currently have Superior
Access and I don't think we are a good fit...

Hi! I live in NJ and am new to the insurance business as well (at least on the sales side of things).

I just passed my Life/Health exams and will be applying for my license soon. As things stand now I am going to start working for a local agency on an IC basis. Any advice or thoughts on what to expect? Did anyone else start out this way?

I went p&c and very glad I did. The p&c agents I know further give me the feeling I made the right decision. The health agents I know make me very glad I didn't go the health route.

Back