New Trial Right Period at Age 65 if Already on Medicare Disability?

Colby214

I have a client who is enrolled on a MAPD who is on disability. He will be 65 in January. Does he have a Trial Right to buy a Medicare supplement for 12 months after he turns 65 without regard to his previous coverage? I couldn't find anything about IEP2 and Trial Rights.

I have a client who is enrolled on a MAPD who is on disability. He will be 65 in January. Does he have a Trial Right to buy a Medicare supplement for 12 months after he turns 65 without regard to his previous coverage? I couldn't find anything about IEP2 and Trial Rights.

He's in a fresh Open Enrollment now, and will be through June. You can write him now so his Med Supp will be in force 01/01/2016.

Being on a MAPD now has nothing to do with his right to a new OEP for medigap. He does not get a new trial right per the regs. He's already been on Medicare, the keys in the trial right are a. when first eligible b. at age 65.

So down the road, if he wants to drop his medigap, enroll in MAPD, he does not have a trial right. The dates on his Medicare would make that a void issue.

Drug plan new business SEP I have been advised to use for those on SSDI when they have open enrollment at 65 code: IEP2

We are in AEP, so just writing the PDP as AEP would cancel the MAPD. I ask PDP carriers what they want, though, as IEP & Open Enrollment are supposed to trump annual election period.

Last edited:
No. He does not. He has the right for Open enrollment because he is turning 65. In other words, no medical questions and he can't be turned down for a policy. This is his initial enrollment period.

GI rights are only applicable if: 1) Company cancels or you move/they move. 2) Group plan ends. 3) Medicare select plan and you move. 4) They enrolled in a MA plan at 65, have A + B, then want to go back to original medicare in the same year. 5) at age 65 with A + B they bought a supplement, switched to MA and now want to switch back. 6) Company goes bankrupt. 7) Agent mislead you.

Back