New York Life Offer

JohnnyPNJ

I currently have an offer with New York Life, and am trying to decide if I should risk getting involved in the insurance business. I know New York Life has one of the best training programs around. I have about 2 years sales experience (not really outside sales though, showroom sales and some door to door). But I have always had leads or walk in customers. Insurance is done differently where you do alot of prospecting and trying to find new customers. I'm a little scared that I will not be able to make enough income to support myself in the beginning. Is it really hard to make sales immediately, I know this is a performance based business, and I have a very strong work ethic, but does that guarantee I will do well? I also do not have that many warm leads, and I'm scared I won't get enough referrals in the beginning. What other challenges are there? Also, they told me that the averge is 65K the first year, does this sound right? Thanks for any responses, I am going to be talking to New York Life this Friday to make a decision.

Realistically, you'll have a tough road to hoe. Not saying it can't be done, but without a good sized natural market (warm leads) it'll be awful tough, irrespective of work ethic. NYL is a fine company, but the first year income average sounds a little "inflated". Don't forget, a 65k average is made up of a couple that made 80k, and a whole bunch who made 30-40k.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

they told me that the averge is 65K the first year

That is suspect right there. Ask to talk with some guys that have been there less than a year and others and get the facts. Tough, but not impossible, business. It really matters who mentors you.

thanks everyone, I still have not made a decision but this has helped me. I know that if i took the offer I have a long road ahead, and I know the high turn around in this business, and I don't want to be a statistic.
I tried to PM NHB_MMA, but this forum will not let me unless i have contributed 20 posts.

Back