New York Life Offer

basically do you have any reserves that can cushion things while you learn?

NYL is a good company with great training. But it is like jroot mentioned. I spent a decade with them. I came in without a natural market at age 30. I didn't have a natural market because most of the people I knew had good insurance already. It wasn't like my friends and family were waiting for me to enter insurance so they could buy....

If you don't have a natural market, then you have to look at lead services or other ways to get infront of people. I had success at tradeshows and fairs as I am very low key. These type of events would put me infront of alot of people for short introductions. I did women's shows.. one example had around 50,000 visitors over 3 days. I would come away with 500 leads (one of four agents working) to work for the next month on.... We gave away a gift certificate and had a short questionare for insurance interests(life, health, pc(sell to pc agent), investment). With the right guys you work your ass off and will sell about 50-75 policies out of those 500 leads. Make your money back plus. Very hard but fun work... usually didn't feel my feet until the 5th martini post show.

Anyway, anything's posible, but this is a business that doesn't always do or act like you want it to. You could come out of the gate and do great, you could fail doing exactly the same things. How's your Karma?

Good luck.

question, if selling for New York Life, how uncompetitive and over-priced will I be as far term, whole life, Univ. Life, and various annuity products with the competitition? I know the company is solid, but are the products as good as the other carriers. It does seem in the internet age we live in everyone shops everything. Thanks.

I agree with Brinks, NYL is overpriced, but not as bad as Northwestern Mutual...If you work with New York Life, get ready to drink some blue Koolaid...Everybody has to sip the drink working with captive companies like this to just pay your bills. If you aren't onboard mentally, you can't sell their overpriced products...If you can stomach a lot of company rhetoric and lies about how whole life benefits everybody, then New York Life may be for you..I think overall as a company their tactics however are much more ethical and balanced than Northwestern hitmen. Northwestern Mutual reminds me of the mob. Many top hitters in these companies are elitist life insurance types...Good luck finding a real mentor in these companies...All of the solid guys selling anything in these companies will be adversarial to you. They have NO incentive to help you although their company rhetoric will tell you otherwise.

I was offered a job with New York Life, Prudential, and Mutual of Omaha. Can anyone please give me any feed back regarding these companies. I want to make the right choice. Which one would be a better fit for a newbie?

I'm obviously new to the forum... how can I send a message to someone without sending a private message ( I guess I'm not allowed yet). Thanks.

You answered your own question!

"I know two people that have been told that NYL pays a salary + commisions"

If they do, that would be very new.
In the old days they paid a training allowance on top of a certain level of commission... but it was simply no commission, no training allowance. You had to sell to get paid.

One friend is in Calif and I asked him twice about the salary + comm and he said he has talked with this guy 5 times and he was 100% sure that was the real deal?

The other person is in the NC area and was told salary plus also. Now the person in Calif went through a rough 2 yrs , lost his job etc and is now in Ch 7. The mgr told him as soon as it is discharged they will sign him up. I didn't think anyone would hire you right after a bk in this industry? And he was told he didn't need to get any series 6 licenses at all. The person in NC was told you have to have your series 6's within 3 months, so I guess it just depends on where your at?

"I know two people that have been told that NYL pays a salary + commisions"

If they do, that would be very new.
In the old days they paid a training allowance on top of a certain level of commission... but it was simply no commission, no training allowance. You had to sell to get paid.

I'm obviously new to the forum... how can I send a message to someone without sending a private message ( I guess I'm not allowed yet). Thanks.

You need to make some more post. Leave some comments to some post. Once you have enough post, you will be able to do more stuff. You need to show the forum that you are here for the right reasons and then it will be unlocked for you after 10 post I believe it the number, unless it has been raised.

Back