Newbe questions

tommyk

Guru
100+ Post Club
Illinois
Hello:

After obtaining my license's, I have been bombarded with offers and really have more questions than answers. I am looking here for the veterans to show me the way.

I have seen offers for career agents and for independent agents...what is the difference and how does that effect the agent?

Sterling Health Plans..senior division is interesting...any comments on them?

Also, there is a company wanting to expand into the area I live in (central Illinois). Penn Treaty Network America Insurance co dba: United Insurance Group...another senior company.

Thank you for any advice.

I'm sure plenty of more seasoned individuals will come up with pearls of wisdom, but before they do, I'll say this: As a newbie, I think going captive for one of the older insurance companies (that varies from state to state) is the way to go. They will offer the training you need and that'll help you when you eventually go independent. And, as has been mentioned on this forum, you may also be able to draw a salary while you're getting up and running.

I'm sure plenty of more seasoned individuals will come up with pearls of wisdom, but before they do, I'll say this: As a newbie, I think going captive for one of the older insurance companies (that varies from state to state) is the way to go. They will offer the training you need and that'll help you when you eventually go independent. And, as has been mentioned on this forum, you may also be able to draw a salary while you're getting up and running.

I started captive and it was not a mistake. I probably wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't.

I didn't know jack about insurance. I started and on day one I was given about two hours of training on how to fill out an app, handed a stack of applications and a voter registration list and told to "go get 'em". I did fairly good the first month, and better the second one.

If you are going to sell there is only one way to do it. Straight commission. I have seen agents start out on a salary and all it did is make them lazy. If you are really serious about this then do the research, study the policies and the market you are working in and "go get 'em".

Avail yourself of every bit of knowledge you can get from the training they offer. Talk to all of the other agents you work with, and spend at least 10 to 12 hours each day reading, learning the market you are working in and building your presentation. It took me almost six months before I had a real smooth one.

There are very few companies or agencies that offer real training. The only person you can really count on is you. This is a great business and you can make a lot of money selling insurance, but it's going to be all about you making it happen.

I work in the senior market and if there is anything I can do to help please give me a call. I always have time to talk to another agent, especially one new to the business. Not that I have all the answers, I'm still learning also. However, sometimes it just helps to talk to someone who has already "been there, done that and has the t-shirt". I'll even let you wear my t-shirt is you think it will help. :D

Wow, that is great advice! Frank is a great asset to this board. I have learned so much by reading his posts. He probably doesn't realize how much help he has been. There have been several things about the senior market that have been clarified by reading his posts. It IS nice to hear from someone who has been there, done that. I'm not sure I'd want to wear his t-shirt though, not in the summertime.

Wow, that is great advice! Frank is a great asset to this board. I have learned so much by reading his posts. He probably doesn't realize how much help he has been. There have been several things about the senior market that have been clarified by reading his posts. It IS nice to hear from someone who has been there, done that. I'm not sure I'd want to wear his t-shirt though, not in the summertime.

Thanks Shepherd,

You especially wouldn't want to wear it in the summertime, I spend a lot of time outdoors playing with our critters.

Latest posts

Back