Newbie Advice: My 13-month Progress Report.

I started selling Medicare Advantage, Supplements, LTC, STC, Hips, Life and Annuities late last December.

I just wanted to remark on my progress throughout the year.

Finally, I can say, after a year, that It's starting to feel "easy." I still get really stressed out during dry periods, but the dry periods are less long, and when I get a wave of sales, the wave is getting larger. My first renewals are coming in now.

When I first started, I almost quit the first week, like 10 times. Every time I was ready to quit, I told myself "What else am I gonna do, really?" so I kept doing it. My first sales at this time were just dumb luck. I wasn't yet confident in what I said. The seniors knew more than I did. I think these people bought out of pity.

After a couple months, I started learning what products to offer to different people. It was still really slow, and I'd still write people things they wouldn't pass (healthwise,) I wrote people out of the enrollment period, gave wrong info. By this time, I really, really hated what I was doing.

After about 6 months, I was starting to get comfortable. I was quicker and smoother with my products - becoming confident. My answers were quicker and informative. I still didn't like what I was doing.

At about 9 months, I started to enrich my skills. I started to develop accurate intuition as to who would buy, who wouldn't. I was better at gauging interest. I learned that if somebody wasn't interested in a concept, and I clarified it, to move on to another product. If they weren't interested, to move on to the next lead. No wasting time. I also started learning to use more opportunities to extract sales... such as policy deliveries. I started passing out "retaining the need" papers to minimize on cancellations.. I started surveying additional leads in the family.. sister, etc. I also got to the point where I could look around their room and glance at their prescriptions, and almost instantly know what/what not to offer people.

Not until this point have I felt the least bit satisfied. The first year was pretty scary.. big rollercoaster of emotions, and nerves (I was poor the first year.) But now, it is finally feeling comfortable. I'm feeling satisfied. I don't waste time on people who aren't gonna buy, and I spend more time on people who appreciate and need my services. I'm better at matching up appropriate products for certain situations.

If you are starting out, I would tell you it's either 6 months or nothing. You're still confused and lost until a good 3 months. It really takes 6 months to even understand how to work leads, time manage, learn underwriting, become confident, and see all opportunities for sales.

The other thing I can say, is, humans are very adaptable. Just because you hate something the first day doesn't mean you hate it. The ugliest girl can grow into the best girlfriend, just as the prettiest girl can turn into a nightmare.

Good luck, and don't give up. It takes a LONG TIME!

Congratulations!!

This portion is great advice and used by the best:

"I learned that if somebody wasn't interested in a concept, and I clarified it, to move on to another product. "

Don't try to hammer something down someone throat, unless you want charge backs.

However this, I disagree with:

"If you are starting out, I would tell you it's either 6 months or nothing. You're still confused and lost until a good 3 months. It really takes 6 months to even understand how to work leads, time manage, learn underwriting, become confident, and see all opportunities for sales."

Unless of course you're doing it on your own, with little to no guidance. I have an agent, got licensed, never sold med supps (or any insurance) before and in her first two months she wrote about 60 or 70 policies.

The other thing I can say, is, humans are very adaptable. Just because you hate something the first day doesn't mean you hate it. The ugliest girl can grow into the best girlfriend, just as the prettiest girl can turn into a nightmare.

Good luck, and don't give up. It takes a LONG TIME!

Great post
I like how you stated that you have become more adapt to reading people. That is a very important trait/skill.
I also like how you talked about "dealing with people that appreicate your services".

Good post, brought back bad memories of that first year. The stages for me:

Stage I: "Complete Confusion" - here is a desk and a phone, "go get'em tiger." No idea what works or doesn't work in real life, stumble across an internet forum full of agents, started reading as fast as possible and soaking up everything I could find.

Stage II: "Now What?" - I'm not going to sell anyone in the office, mays well get out there amoung the people, I don't have anything to lose. No confidence, horrible pitch, but what do you know, I actually sold a few policies!"

Stage III: "I need to get a system in place" - Bills continue to come due, I need to start making some actual money or this isn't going to work. I'm starting to figure out that "no" is a good answer and "yes" is a good answer, the "maybe's" will eat up all your time and energy. I set a daily minimum prospecting activity level and kept moving forward.

Stage IV & Beyond: "I made it" - I know what works, I know how to do it, I am confident in my ability to help people, and I can pay my bills without sweating each month. Getting out of bed to build a business is now exciting and a challenge.

Being right out of college with no experience and no training kept me in Stage I & II for too long. However, the only reason I made it to Stage III was low personal expenses due each month and the motivation to stick with it. You couldn't pay me enough to go back and experience the frusteration and anxiety I felt those first two years.

PS: had my first Husband/Wife lifetime benefit LTC today!! Made a couple grand in a couple hours! woot! Hoping they won't cancel!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Congratulations!!

This portion is great advice and used by the best:

"I learned that if somebody wasn't interested in a concept, and I clarified it, to move on to another product. "

Don't try to hammer something down someone throat, unless you want charge backs.

However this, I disagree with:

"If you are starting out, I would tell you it's either 6 months or nothing. You're still confused and lost until a good 3 months. It really takes 6 months to even understand how to work leads, time manage, learn underwriting, become confident, and see all opportunities for sales."

Unless of course you're doing it on your own, with little to no guidance. I have an agent, got licensed, never sold med supps (or any insurance) before and in her first two months she wrote about 60 or 70 policies.

She sounds awesome.. but I wrote this for the average dummy like me. She, obviously was the exception. With CMS, Enrollment periods, if a person has to learn multiple products, it takes much more than a couple months to be able to flop around and not have cancellations galore, or leave them without PDs, or uncancelled MedSups... etc.

Last edited:
Back