Newbie in A Situation Only an *** Could be In

blaze1x

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
At the end of May I started with this captive agency that only sold Assurant products in Florida but offered a nice training package (straight commission, of course) and initially I liked the organization. They seemed structured, goal-oriented and on the come-up. After a couple of months I realized that they don't quite have their stuff together and in a sense they were learning on my dime. In addition, in my market Assurant is really expensive and although I believe strongly that it is the best product (when reviewing the brochures, it's just a lot cleaner than GR's, BC, Aetna, etc.), I know that I'm shooting myself in the foot for a large market of people that aren't willing to pay 200-300 dollars more a month for the same type of coverage with a lesser company.

Anyway, because of personal reasons I decided that I needed to try working out of my home. Working over the internet just offers better bang for my buck because I can get to more people. An insurance sales presentation in person can take two-three and half hours. An internet sales presentation can take thirty minutes. My plan was to hook with a company that has been referenced on this board, learn how to sell over the internet and at the same time increase my commission percentage. I know that people usually recommend going at it alone, but I felt like I needed some internet sales training.

So, I plunked down my money for the first round of leads--and they seem okay, but:
1) They are supposed to be handling my appointment process, but I've had to contact the insurance carriers directly to verify that I've been appointed. I also found out I was appointed through another company that doesn't really work well with my given market.

2) The website that they recommend has been screwed up almost everytime I needed it. My website is supposed to link to that page, but it's always messed up. I'm now in the process of trying to figure out workarounds because I don't want to be on the phone with a client and not be able to access the main web page and be unable to run quotes.

3). They've recommended and appointed me with several CI products that are too high for my area, it's clear that they are clueless as to th needs of my market.

Then I see, via link on this website a potential telemarketing company that's cheaper than what I'm paying now. In other words, now that I see a telemarketing company that might be worthwhile, why should I mess with these guys?

So, how the hell do I get out from under these guys and get on my own? I haven't issued any business with them, but I still have three months to kill with original company before I can sign up with someone else for Assurant. Plus, as for the polishing my internet sales may need, are there any recommendations?

Sorry for the long post.

No matter how hard you try gimmicks like the internet, sometimes selling face to face is the only way to do it. {You can tell I am old school.}
Nothing to offer here, other than I tried just contracting directly as a broker and used norvax for my site and quoting, never did get traffic there. {My fault probably, I should have found a way to drive traffic there}

Assurant is not competitive in Florida. Product's no better either.

Send me a PM with your email address and contact info and I'll try to help. I don't recruit/train/hire/babysit agents - but I can probably point you in the right direction.

New agents should be selling face to face. The field is littered with the bodies of dead agents who thought they could buy leads and sell online.

Selling online takes amazing phone skills, fantastic product and underwriting knowledge and a lot of appointments since a lot of people simply don't answer their phone again.

I know I've only been around 4 years but out of all the agents I've met, run across and know well you can fit all of the ones who really do well selling online in the same bathtub. The truth is most agent who are going crazy selling online - $20K, $30K, $50K in volume per week are unethical whores.

Regarding your situation - if you have three months to go then you have no recourse. You have to wait it out before you can switch over your contract.

No matter how hard you try gimmicks like the internet, sometimes selling face to face is the only way to do it. {You can tell I am old school.}
Nothing to offer here, other than I tried just contracting directly as a broker and used norvax for my site and quoting, never did get traffic there. {My fault probably, I should have found a way to drive traffic there}
I don't mean just having a website, I mean doing presentations over the 'net. I can also see people in person.

If you want to sell online you should invest in a quote engine. At best, you need a website with the carrier links so you can walk your prospects through plans and rates. I also hear a lot of agents are having success doing webinar presentations.

You can look into Vyew, Iboomerang or LiveMeeting for webinars. I believe the only two quote engines are Norvax and Quotit?

If you don't choose those you can just put the links on your site: Maryland Health Plans - Insurance Solutions - click "health plans." I'll take clients here and show them plans and rates.

If you want to sell online you should invest in a quote engine. At best, you need a website with the carrier links so you can walk your prospects through plans and rates. I also hear a lot of agents are having success doing webinar presentations.

You can look into Vyew, Iboomerang or LiveMeeting for webinars. I believe the only two quote engines are Norvax and Quotit?

If you don't choose those you can just put the links on your site: Maryland Health Plans - Insurance Solutions - click "health plans." I'll take clients here and show them plans and rates.
I've got the iboomerang. And the plan is to do webinars. The truth is setting up an appointment requires a lot of effort. Also, I believe that as you qualify them over the phone, it helps instill in them a sense that you know what you're doing. If you can then seize while the fire is hot, I think, or at least I hope, I can convert some sales. Plus, I'm not afraid to go out to see them if I have to. Doing a simple website can be done cheaply and I already own a name.

As for the 30k a month unscrupulous people, I don't need to make that much to cover my bases, and I have a hard problem selling bad stuff. The company that I contracted with has a semi-competitive product, but it's only worthwhile if you sell the most expensive plan they offer.

Am I stuck with these internet people I just signed up with, even though I haven't sold anything?

Back