Newbie in Medicare Sales

Greetings,
I received my Life and Health License about a month ago and am about one hour away from finishing my AHIP Medicare certification. Originally, my plan was to pursue becoming an independent broker but recently I realized that being a captive agent was a better way to learn the business. My problem is that my timing is awful. It seems that the health plans already have their sales staff in place (as they should so close to open enrollment) and I am brand new! I have a career history of sales and marketing but I want to know this business very well before I go independent. Also, I have applied to several support sales positions and the health care plans aren't responding.

Am I too late to start my career being that it is the busiest time of year? Should I just prepare for next busy period? How can I get into the industry so I can remain connected to prepare for a career in medicare sales?

I am very passionate about being able to help seniors and doing a job that really makes a positive difference in peoples lives. I have a chance to work in marketing with a dental marketing company. Sounds interesting...I need a job now.

Suggestions? Advice? Thank you in advance.
Sandra

Greetings,
I received my Life and Health License about a month ago and am about one hour away from finishing my AHIP Medicare certification. Originally, my plan was to pursue becoming an independent broker but recently I realized that being a captive agent was a better way to learn the business. My problem is that my timing is awful. It seems that the health plans already have their sales staff in place (as they should so close to open enrollment) and I am brand new! I have a career history of sales and marketing but I want to know this business very well before I go independent. Also, I have applied to several support sales positions and the health care plans aren't responding.

Am I too late to start my career being that it is the busiest time of year? Should I just prepare for next busy period? How can I get into the industry so I can remain connected to prepare for a career in medicare sales?

I am very passionate about being able to help seniors and doing a job that really makes a positive difference in peoples lives. I have a chance to work in marketing with a dental marketing company. Sounds interesting...I need a job now.

Suggestions? Advice? Thank you in advance.
Sandra

Congrats on getting your license. Too bad about the timing.

If you really are very passionate about being able to help seniors and doing a job that really makes a positive difference in peoples lives, why not get a job in a nursing home until the timing's just right to start your insurance career?

Best of luck and welcome to the Forum Sandra.:)

Originally, my plan was to pursue becoming an independent broker but recently I realized that being a captive agent was a better way to learn the business.

If you're a self starter, you don't need to go captive because there are two excellent training sites mentioned on this forum that will teach you everything you need to know. Talk to Daytona Guy or Greensky.

----------

I received my Life and Health License about a month ago and am about one hour away from finishing my AHIP Medicare certification.

Am I too late to start my career being that it is the busiest time of year? Should I just prepare for next busy period?

Medicare Advantage has become a huge barrier of entry since the laws changed on how you can market. You need a long term marketing plan and money to burn until you build up a decent renewal book.

Thankfully, these restrictions don't apply to Medicare Supplement, so that's where I would start.

Yes you may be a little late, but there may be some carriers that can get your appointments through quickly. I sent my appointment paperwork in for New Era last year during AEP and got my writing number in about 2 weeks.

You need to be willing to pick up the phone and make calls. This is still the most inexpensive way to get started generating leads. You should be able to generate 1-2 leads per hour of dialing, if you're targeting the right areas.

----------

I have a chance to work in marketing with a dental marketing company. Sounds interesting...I need a job now.

Take the job.

There are plenty of agents who started in this niche working part-time around their full-time job schedules.

This takes an enormousness amount of will-power to pull this off though. You need to be laser focused on your goals, and have the self-discipline to carry it out. Most people aren't willing to pay this high of a price to win.

You need to block out four hours a day for dialing either before or after your "day job." Consider getting non-resident licenses in states with different time zones to maximize your calling time. Saturdays and even Sundays in some states are good days to generate leads.

You need to be willing to pick up the phone and make calls. This is still the most inexpensive way to get started

^^ The above statement CANNOT be stressed enough! This is a an absolute requirement in this industry. I see so many agents not willing to put the time in on the phone and it ultimately leads to your failure.

Whether you are cold calling, calling on leads, calling to set appointments, calling to follow-up ...

You must CALL CALL CALL.

If you're a self starter, you don't need to go captive because there are two excellent training sites mentioned on this forum that will teach you everything you need to know. Talk to Daytona Guy or Greensky

What are the two training sites? Insurance Pro Shop and?

Back